Questions on quail

Battery cages are horrible. They're so short my coturnix had theirs modified so they could at least stand up straight. Kinda defeated the purpose of ready-to-use out of the box.
I often wonder how they breed in those, mine run into hides and cinderblocks when they aren’t in the mood, low roofs keep the males off.

One more thing! I am thinking of keeping 6 female quails. They will be housed in a 5 by 5-foot pen with a 3 tier coop to the side. Each tier will be 2 ft tall. Will this be big enough or will they fight? Also, they are purely for laying purposes so no males.

One more thing! I am thinking of keeping 6 female quails. They will be housed in a 5 by 5-foot pen with a 3 tier coop to the side. Each tier will be 2 ft tall. Will this be big enough or will they fight? Also, they are purely for laying purposes so no males.
They might be fine or they might not. I have a female that fought everyone she was with until this latest batch when she turned 18 months. Think she's finally too old to care

That sounds like enough space, but keep in mind that quail are ground birds. While they can learn to use ramps, they often don't, so a three tier coop isn't going to do much for them.

Back
Top Bottom