Questions on raising duckweed

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
Duckweed sounds like a fantastic food source for chickens and I plan to raise some in a kiddie pool this year. The problem is I don't know exactly what I need to do. Here's what I know:

-It grows on water and likes plenty of fertilizer
-Mosquitofish will keep the algae and mosquito levels to a minmum if not eraticate them
-Duckweed is 30-50% protein, but it needs to be properly fertilized or else protein levels may suffer
-There are many varieties of duckweed
-Duckweed can double in 24-48 hours
-Duckweed can be raised in small pools or buckets

Here are my questions:

-What should I use for fertilizer? I read to just throw some in some chicken poop and leaves, but is there anything else I should add?
-I want to add some mosquitofish to raise as an extra protein source and also as a mosquito and algae control. Would they be able to survive if we added some chicken poop and leaves for duckweed fertilizer, or would it be best to have two different pools?
-Would I need to add anything to the pool to feed the fish?
-Should I raise several varieties of duckweed, and if so, can I raise them all in the same pool?
-Do I need to add dirt to the bottom of the pool? If so, why?
-Is it best to put duckweed in full sun? We don't have much shade here, so if it needs shade would setting up a tarp on two posts on the south side be sufficient (like a wall to give some shade)?
-Where would we get mosquitofish?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have experience growing duck weed but it grows all over my wet land area of my property. My swans eat it but I have never tried to give it to my chickens. Maybe I should try giving them some.

I think duck weed likes the sun.

Hadn't heard about using Duckweed as feed. But be careful with it... it is a nasty weed (as the name implies). It grows in every pond around here and most folks are always fighting it to keep in under control. It will smother a pond in no time flat if not controlled agressively.

I will answer anything I can:

-What should I use for fertilizer? I read to just throw some in some chicken poop and leaves, but is there anything else I should add?

The weed will grow with very little fertilizer but it does need nutrients. I think poop and leaves would work.

-I want to add some mosquitofish to raise as an extra protein source and also as a mosquito and algae control. Would they be able to survive if we added some chicken poop and leaves for duckweed fertilizer, or would it be best to have two different pools?

Mosquito fish can live pretty much anywhere. I don't think they will suffer at all being in the pond with the duckweed. Keep in mind that I don't think your mosquito fish will take care of all of your mosquito problem.

-Would I need to add anything to the pool to feed the fish?

They will starve without enough food. So either you will need to have a lot of mosquitos or feed them... not sure what to feed them but I have seen then eat fish food. I have seen them starve in ponds with good mosquito control.

-Should I raise several varieties of duckweed, and if so, can I raise them all in the same pool?

Didn't know there were different varieties.

-Do I need to add dirt to the bottom of the pool? If so, why?

No

-Is it best to put duckweed in full sun? We don't have much shade here, so if it needs shade would setting up a tarp on two posts on the south side be sufficient (like a wall to give some shade)?

Seems like it likes the sun.

-Where would we get mosquitofish?

If there are any natural ponds around you, they are probably full of mosquito fish... the things reproduce like every 21 days. If you can't find a pond around you try the county. In this part of California our county vector control office will sell them... pretty expense though for what they are.... but you only need a few since they breed so fast.

Back
Top Bottom