Questions on shipping ducklings and hatching eggs

You schedule a date and time :) You catch all the birds ahead of time so testing goes quickly.
Oh good, I figured they would come without warning like other inspectors do.

Another question: How do they test the birds? Do they take a blood sample?

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. :)

Oh good, I figured they would come without warning like other inspectors do.

Another question: How do they test the birds? Do they take a blood sample?

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. :)

For pullorum yes, they pull some feathers from under the wing, poke the bird in a small vein, and take a drop of blood. For AI, for waterfowl they take a swab of the vent.

No worries, I don't mind :)

@Pyxis I was wondering, don't you have to have a closed flock to become NPIP certified?
You can't let anyone else come on your property close to your birds, right?

Closed in that you can't add any birds that aren't also NPIP, or you lose your certification. There are no rules that I know of that say people that own birds can't come onto your property, but I don't let people who own chickens or other poultry visit my birds, unless I know them and know that their flock isn't carrying any diseases.

But everyone always wants to visit the emus, so I usually let them, and no one from the NPIP program has said I can't.

Back
Top Bottom