Questions on SLW as meat birds.

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
I have a few SLW roos from TSC, they are about 12 weeks now and getting very large. They have been on a 24% flock grower and am now putting them on a 20%. Will that be OK for finishing them. Any pros or cons on giving them cr corn or scratch also. They do free range. I've read to butcher at about 20 weeks for hertiage type birds, is that for flavor or size? Do they dress out about half of live weight? How do you know when they are ready? Do you weigh them so you know they are big enough, or just set a date when they are about 20 weeks and you are tired of feeding them. I also have a few production reds that should have been pulletts but are roos, they are the same age, but smaller, will they be ready at the same time? They will be about the right age the 1st part of Sept, and I hope to go on vacation the end of Sept, so it would be nice if they could be gone by then.
Thanks for your time, this is my first time getting birds that I planned on them being for meat. If this goes well, I hope to raise some of my own mixed birds next year for meat.

Back
Top Bottom