Questions, Questions, Questions!!!

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
Ok, I hope I can ask these so they make sense because I'm having a hard time wrapping my feeble brain around this!
smile.png

My blue cochin girl is broody. She is laying one egg a day. I've been taking them away from her but if I decide to let her sit should I move her to her own part of the coop away from the others and here's my big question. If she's laying one egg a day is she really that broody?
How can they lay one egg a day and end up with a clutch of chicks at the end of the cycle. Seems to me they would all be hatching a day apart??
Or should I just keep taking the eggs away from her which seems to be pi$$ing her off more each time!
roll.png

I hope I'm asking these questions in a way that anyone can understand what I'm asking!
big_smile.png

Jacie

She isn't all the way broody till she quits laying. Maybe she's just grouchy, LOL. I'd collect eggs if you think she's broody, but leave some fakes under her if you dont want to break the spell. Then if she quits laying and sticks on the nest all night rather than goes to roost, put the collected eggs under her to hatch.

Oh thank you! I think you actually made sense of my questions! LOL!

Now another. How long will the eggs stay viable if I want to put them back under her and I'm assuming I just keep them at room temp?

I do have some fake ones so I'll put them under her tomorrow.

Unfortunately I've been putting the others in the fridge! LOL!

And do I separate her now or leave her in the nesting box in the main coop. No one is bothering her and if I should move her should it be after she actually starts sitting on the eggs?

I know these questions sound dumb but I want to do everything right!

Jacie

You can collect eggs and store them, not in the fridge, but between 50-65 degrees for up to two weeks. A bsmt is a good place or a cooler with ice packs and a towel over them. If she isn't broody by then, put them in the fridge to eat and start another collection for hatching. You could try to separate her now in her own area, if you really think she's broody, or wait till she's stayed on the nest overnight and quit laying.

You don't have to move her, the others will get the message I ASSURE you. You've heard the expression "mad as a settin hen" I'm sure. She WILL take care of business. You can hold eggs for 10 days I've seen, but I don't personally let them sit for more than 5-7 days. Keep them big end up and rotated til you put them under her.

Cyn, I wasn't trying to one up ya, we were typing at the same time I just had to run to the potty with my 2 year old and didn't get my post posted til after you!!

Quote:
Ok another dumb question. Rotate them how? If the big end is supposed to stay up?
I'm thinking a cooler with the ice pack thingy because our nights get down in the high 30's to low 40's and the days are up in the high 70's. Would just keeping them in the garage in a cooler without the ice pack be ok? The temp should stay pretty stable that way.

You all are great and so understanding of a person with so many questions.
I'm still not understanding what chickens do without our help. How do they hatch a bunch of eggs all at the same time that are layed on different day?

Thanks
Jacie

Back
Top Bottom