Questions reg. crop flushing/vit./copper/eggs/dewormer UPDATED

maria22000

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have read the different posts and links as much as I could about impacted crop because I think this is what my older hen (4 or 5) has. I have separated her from the rest of the (small) flock, and given her bread with olive oil, yogurt and apple cider vinegar in her water. After a couple of days, her crop went down from huge and hard to a somewhat smaller and mushy/doughy mass. I put her out again, but the next day her crop was big and hard again. I am giving her the same treatment again but am wondering what else I can do to help her get rid of what is in the crop. I read I should not give olive oil for more than a couple of days. I read about flushing it but did not find clear information as to how and with what to do this. Referral/help with that would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: found a threat with info about that.

Her other symptoms are that she hasn't been laying anything but soft or shell less eggs. Is this because of her age?

She is loosing weight now and looks like she may be molting even though she a sex link. She molted last year too for the first time. It's hard to know whether it is molting or just not feeling good this time. I know she is drinking well because she is the only one on her water reservoir.

If I wanted to give the chickens a dewormer just in case, what would I get? I read about taking a stool sample to the vet, but we can't really afford that right now.

Thanks for any help you can give!

ETA: can I mix vitamins, apple cider vinegar and copper sulfate or should I give those all separate?
Thanks,

maria.

Last edited:
Yes, I am doing that and it seems normal again, but that is how it was last time too so I am wondering if I need to flush something out that is staying in there regardless?
Thanks,
maria.

Mmm, unless the impacted crop has been going on much longer than we think, which seems unlikely, she has been laying soft eggs ever since the summer. It is puzzling. Maybe she is just old but I thought chickens could live for quite a few years
hu.gif

This is where I read about how to flush the crop https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=655
HTH
!

Back
Top Bottom