Questions regarding my first Hatched Ducklings!

MallardMama19

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
Minnesota
You guys!! My mama just hatched her 9 ducklings this morning!! I've anticipated this hatching since I saw she laid eggs.... I thought at least 6 were fertile...but ALL 9 eggs hatched!! This is my second year owning ducks, but my first hatching ( My husband is not thrilled because I bought 3 ducklings from my local farm store this spring, I didn't anticipate fertile eggs because my mama doesn't care for my drake (he is a jerk, and will be eaten) I have some questions regarding my little new members, I've done some internet searches but end up going down a rabbit hole of information, so I'm looking for feed back from my favorite group!!

1. Should I put more netting/smaller mesh around their pen? We have a large chain linked area, which the ducklings can fit through currently. I usually don't put my ducks in this pen until they are big enough. We have had no issues with predators in the pen.

2. The drake is still in the pen with mama and the ducklings, Should I remove him? Do I need to worry about him getting the littles. Mama seems very protective and will hiss and charge anything/anybody who gets near. My 3 new ducks (9weeks old) are in the chicken coop because they think the chickens are part of their flock, but also because when they were smaller the drake would go after them. Now that they are much bigger the drake appears to be bonding nicely (he's trying to mate them) but mama.... is not having it.

3 Do i need to bring them in a brooder? We live in MN, I've read mama will keep them warm herself, its gonna be a low of 60-70's this week, and highs around 80-100*F

4. How long will mama be so protective/broody? She is usually so sweet... I just want her back to her normal self.

Any other helpful tips would be great!! I'm in LOVE with these hatchlings! Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6048.jpg
    IMG_6048.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6058.jpg
    IMG_6058.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 5
I like to make sure the mom cannot just take the ducklings and go. As long as they are confined for a few weeks they will be fine. Provide a chicken type waterer, and a shallow dish for the feed. The drake should be fine, but I'm not totally sure as I only have muscovy. If you drake is trying to mate the young ducklings I'd be rid of him asap.

Every mom is different. Some mother for a couple of weeks, some mother for months.

I would not chance it with the drake. My sweet runner drake keeps trying to get to his 4 week old ducklings when the big ducks are free ranging and the little ducks are outside in their plastic fenced in area. The difference you have is the mamma duck is there while mine were incubated.

Back
Top Bottom