Questions Regarding Quail Flight

Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
I know that quails can fly. But because of their smaller size, I think they can fly better than other gallinaceous birds. But most of all, please answer these questions:
Can they fly high like an eagle?
Can they fly far like a duck?
Can they fly swiftly like a falcon (very good at flying and agile in the air)?
If not, explain why, and how high, far, and agile they can fly.

Any help will be gladly appreciated, just don't say any mean and rude comments to me!

They can fly kind of like a chicken, but faster due to their size and higher. It's just bursts of flight. They can't stay up for long

Quail and chickens belong to the Gallinaceous order, which includes grouse, ptarmigans, turkeys, pheasants, quail, partridges and other things like that.

Gallinaceous birds tend to be sort of plump ground-feeders and, for the most part, are poor fliers.
Quail will take to the wing if they really have to, but they would rather run. They can weave in and out of thick under brush at up to 12 mph. and they usually don't fly to far or high.
D.gif

I have button quail and they fly straight up to the roof when frightened! So basically they only fly as high as the roof and most of the time they only go straight up, I don't think they can fly a distance.

We have local wild Gambels, and the highest I've ever seen one was on top of a telephone pole, so they can go at least that high.

Thanks a million to all of you! I initially thought they could fly from North America to South America I guess...

I also forgot to mention that coturnix/Japanese quails are actually the only quails that migrate! Unlike many other quails, these quails have pointed wings, so that they are able to fly great distances, as opposed to many game birds which have rounded wings, which are ideal for quick takeoff, but shorter flight session.

Back
Top Bottom