Questions Regarding Warm Feet and Being Lethargic

arojas7112

Hatching
Jan 27, 2015
Hello all,

We have a pair of silky chickens, one Sussex and a Rhode Island Red. We keep the silkys separate from the other two since they aren't very fond of each other. The silkys are still young chicks, and the other two are between 4 and 5 months old. For the last couple of weeks we have noticed our Sussex with its beak open for long periods of time. We thought at first the possibility of her being dehydrated but they have access to clean water all day. We have also noticed that she has become lethargic. We believe her egg laying time might be coming soon. She sometimes sits on her food bowl or lifts up her rear so we supplied her with a lay box inside her enclosure with hay as a substrate. She spends a lot of time in this lifted position. Her feet are much warmer than our Red or silkys, considering the temperature in southern California has been on the cold side for the last few months. Also we keep them indoors inside an enclosure and our house doesn't get warm enough in order for her body to overheat. Since we were told that they were both the same age, our other chicken does not act this way so we're very worried and would like to know if anyone could give us an explanation as to what is going on. Is this normal chicken behavior right before they are about to start laying for their first time?

From my observations with her she eats well and drinks plenty. I am very new to owning chickens so this behavior may just be normal. I hope someone can help me out. Her droppings look normal in comparison to our other chickens. I am a reptile guy but my girl friend loves our new chickens. Would love to know if this was normal behavior. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom