Questions

Kenzie22

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
I have an incubator that holds 41 eggs but I only get 4 eggs that are fertilized each day so my question is, how long can I keep fertilized eggs before I have to put them into the incubator?

You might find it helpful to read this. It's the first time I've tried this link, hope it works.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu...d eggs and also prevents premature incubation.

If you store the eggs at close to the best temperature (around 55 degrees Fahrenheit), in high humidity, turn them regularly you can get pretty good hatch rates if you store them for two weeks. Most of us don't have ideal conditions and just do the best we can. For most of us that means one week is a good length of time to store them. I store mine in a spare bedroom in temperatures in the 70's F and pretty low humidity. I take the turner out of my incubator and store the eggs on that with it plugged in so they are turned. I never go more than a week because I have enough eggs by then and I get good hatch rates.

It is not a case where all of a sudden the eggs go from "great hatchability" to "won't hatch at all". The longer they are stored and the further from ideal conditions the less likely they are to hatch.

My suggestion for you is to mark the date on the eggs as you collect them so you know how old they are. Collect all 41, then set them. When they hatch see if there was a difference in how long they were stored. That way you can see for yourself in your storage conditions what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom