1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

queston

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mother of All, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Songster

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    what is a heritage bird. I had three different breeds this year. one was a bourbon red. and one was a white bird but don't know the breed of that one and I have a brown one. but I don't know the heritage breeds please enlighten me.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    I found this link that explains it pretty well (but it is in general terms, not specifically about turkeys):

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/heritage/

Basically, IMO, pretty much any breed EXCEPT the Broad-Breasted White and Broad-Breasted Bronze that are the standard in mass production would qualify as an "heritage breed."

More precisely in turkeys, I think people use the term to refer to the breeds other than broad-breasted which are actually capable of living and reproducing naturally. The broad-breasted breeds are genetic monstrosities that have serious health issues after they reach a certain age and size due to their having been bred for production of massive amounts of muscle tissue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by