1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

queston

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mother of All, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    what is a heritage bird. I had three different breeds this year. one was a bourbon red. and one was a white bird but don't know the breed of that one and I have a brown one. but I don't know the heritage breeds please enlighten me.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I found this link that explains it pretty well (but it is in general terms, not specifically about turkeys):

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/heritage/

Basically, IMO, pretty much any breed EXCEPT the Broad-Breasted White and Broad-Breasted Bronze that are the standard in mass production would qualify as an "heritage breed."

More precisely in turkeys, I think people use the term to refer to the breeds other than broad-breasted which are actually capable of living and reproducing naturally. The broad-breasted breeds are genetic monstrosities that have serious health issues after they reach a certain age and size due to their having been bred for production of massive amounts of muscle tissue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by