Quetions about chick problems

littlepatchofheaven

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
my chicks were hatching late and the ones that didnt hatch
(alot of em) still had their yolk sack on the outside, what did i do wrong? was it temp or humidity, i thought i had it kept between 99 and 102 the whole time and humidity between 40 and 60- is that right? mabye my temp and humidity gauge is not working properly?
any ideas? thanks! Shari
he.gif
:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he

Were you using a forced air or still air bator? 99-102 temp difference is not to bad. Should stay more around 99-100 degrees for a forced air bator. 40-60% is a wide range apart though. It should have been a more stable number. I keep mine at 55-57% the first 18 days, then up it to 65% during the last three days. Others will tell you different numbers but I think it is all about being consistant, not the numbers.

It is a still air incubator, no turner, i am just frusterated....
thanks for the reply though...
i will try to keep my humidity more stable this time around!
shari
jumpy.gif

For still air 99 is pretty low, my first thought is that is the problem for the lateness. It should be 102 at the top of the egg. I made a pedastle out of a dixie cup by cutting out the bottom and turning it upsidedown to hold my thermometer at the top of the egg. The chicks don't knock it over that way.

I think 40-60% isn't too bad. I would shoot for 45-50% for the first 18 days, then bump to 65-70% for the last three (unless you are at a high elevation then you need a higher %humidity).

Also be sure to pull the plugs for the last three days to increase airflow.

My still air has always treated me well, it's full of eggs for hatching right now.

Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom