Quick Advice Needed: Chickens Freaking Out in Coop!

Maybe get a little battery operated light/night light of some sort to put in there for them tomorrow night. They could be freaking because it's new and they can't see much in the dark maybe?
idunno.gif

Hope tomorrow night is better for y'all.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thanks. My situation was this: I had them in the brooder, and they were just getting too big and the run was still being built. So I built them a temporary "day pen" using an empty raised bed garden box and some chicken wire. I would put them out in the day so they could stretch and get fresh air, and then bring them in when it got dark. Worked great, they loved it. They were fine in the pen. So today when the run was completed (all but the sand), I put them in and it was new and interesting, but they were fine. Just roaming around in this new "big pen" and seemed curious but not nervous.

They had ignored the hen house the entire time, which is inside the run and with the door open. They didn't even seem to notice it. So when I started gathering them up it turned into a chasing game, which probably added to the drama, but once they were all in, I looked in and that's when I discovered they were just completely freaking out. My favorite one, a Cochin, who is normally very mellow, kept desperately trying to jump up on the tiny window sill to look at me, her tiny breath marks on the window, oh, it was awful! Tomorrow I'm going to add a bigger sill because it would be nice for them to be able to sit and look out the window if they want without falling.

Anyway, I think it's going to be alright, I just was not prepared for that. I'm going to the Raising Chicks section where a lot of Newbies are and place a post to prepare them for this, lol.

Last edited:
After reading many threads here on byc, we decided to lock them in the tractor the first couple of days to get them used to the idea that this is their new home. Initially they werent all that happy but settled down after a while and spent their time rearranging the shavings and inspecting every part of the inside. Now they go in by themselves with no problems. I remember those feelings when they first moved out and checked on them frequently. You will eventually relax and let them be chickens. They will be okay!

Okay guys, thanks for the advice. Now that it is dark and they are quiet, I feel a lot better. I panicked. So grateful for you all on BYC. Okay, deep breaths..... strong drink ... I mean calming tea..... I'm okay now...

Thanks so much!

I am still curious how this will go tomorrow. I wonder if it will be a chasing game and drama getting them back in, or if by then they will "get it" and want to go in? Anyone know??

Get a cold drink, sit in a comfortable chair and put up your feet. They are chickens-they hate change. Be prepared to go through this sideshow for several more nights until they become comfortable in their new pen. They are just chickens being, well, "chicken." They are tougher than you realize.

When I was freaking out the first night, someone from BYC put it in perspective. They just got kicked out of the place they thought was home and now they are in a strange place. It's normal for them to be upset. I put a low wattage red bulb (25w) in with mine for a few nights so that it would feel a bit more like home.
And although it took me 10 !! nights of chicken wrangling, most folks say it just takes a few before they are heading to their new home at dark.

You'll need to keep them in that coop for a week or so, to make them realize they're 'home' in there. Then they'll go in on their own. Everyone has to deal with that I think, but really, once you get them acclimated, it's no problem.

Back
Top Bottom