Quick Advice Needed

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
The neighbor 2 doors down the road has lost some free-range chickens to a dog attack over the last couple days (he was good enough to inform us of the danger this afternoon).

My Splits are still living in their temporary coop, that is not predator-proof since it's plastic hardware cloth with a door that doesn't close securely. It's inside my electric fence, but I'm wondering if I ought to shove them into one of the other coops tonight and tomorrow.

Neuchickenstein is going to be fully-secured by Friday evening, at which point we were planning to put them in immediately. (Not fully-finished, but with all wire and shelter walls in place and with the main roosts and the nest boxes up).

If I do this I think I'd divide them -- sticking the two more dominant ones, Lickety and Second, who *may* be laying and who have been hanging with The Ladies in the daytime, into the Little Monitor Coop and the other two into the Brooder/Coop with the Ideal group, who are 17 weeks and no longer being harassed.

I'm thinking that splitting them would not only relieve the chicken sardine can problem but make for less trouble in the morning before I get out there to open up.

Thoughts?

It's just about dark so I need to shut them up now.

I think I'll do it -- put the Splits in the more secure coops. Better some harassment and/or bullying than leaving them in a less secure situation with a dog loose in the neighborhood.
Just saw this thread now. I personally doubt that a loose dog will risk an electric fence, but it may be a good idea to have them be in a safe coop.

It's been so dry that I don't know how well grounded the electric net is -- though the fact that it just rained lightly will surely help that.

I was able to shove two of them into the Little Monitor Coop as planned, caught the third one and stuffed her into the Brooder Coop, and found that the fourth was already in there. Nobody is happy about things, but I'll get them out early before anything can get too rough.

It's been so dry that I don't know how well grounded the electric net is -- though the fact that it just rained lightly will surely help that.

I was able to shove two of them into the Little Monitor Coop as planned, caught the third one and stuffed her into the Brooder Coop, and found that the fourth was already in there. Nobody is happy about things, but I'll get them out early before anything can get too rough.
Owning chickens isn't easy unfortunately...everything wants them over for dinner 😩

You sure have plenty of coops!

You sure have plenty of coops!

0902210823_HDR.jpg

Three of them inside the electric fence. The one to the right is the problem -- it's only plastic hardware cloth and the door just pushes shut to be held by the chair legs.

Neuchickenstein is *nearly* finished. Just 2 sections of wire at the tops of the sides and the wire on the clerestory to go.

0909211021c.jpg

Love your new coop, and the name is great!
I think that your hardware cloth walls aren't secure enough, at least not yet. Consider adding 2"x 4" woven wire over the lower 4' of the walls, all attached with staples and then with 1"x 4" boards screwed in over both layers of wire.
View attachment 2834831

Mary

There will be trim boards in due time. The hardware cloth is secured with heavy fence staples set with an air stapler.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

We will also be putting electric wires around it.

Back
Top Bottom