Quick and Dirty Coop WIP

We are also in NC. Our pressure treated 2x4 & 2x6 frames that our 3 - 2014 & 2015 CP hoop coops are built on and doors framed with, have almost completely rotted out. In the process of removing the base framing (saving the lag screws for other projects hopefully), raising and widening the coops so that they are 10' wide and using a variety of bases. Cinder block, tin or stacked tires. We'll see which works best or which I like the best. Since the hoops will not be supported by the base, t-posts will be driven into the ground to keep the hoops in place. The backs will be redone and have the nest boxes installed. The fronts will be Rugged Ranch dog pen panels that already have the gates. I will add 1/2" HC to the bottom and 2x4" wire up higher. The cost in cinder blocks for one now 10'wX8+'l coop will be just under $93 + tax. I already have tin and tires I can use - coming from other projects.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build and WOW, those garden beds are nice!

:caf

Unless it's a 4x4, 4x6, or 6x6, PT wood, it's unlikely to be rated for ground contact or a constantly wet or damp area. I've recently switched from Lowe's to Home Depot for my PT wood as all of theirs is supposed to be rated for ground contact. That said, this new stuff (i.e. post 2004,) just doesn't last as long although I suppose it's a small price to pay for having treated wood with no arsenic in it. I've got a few bits of 6x6 pre 2004 that are lying around (used for a flower bed border at one point) that are still in as good shape as the day I brought them home.

I've got it at least functional if not beautiful. lot of tweaking to do, trim and such, also I may end up putting the coop on a riser frame so I can at least get the run panels all the same height. I was limited to 42" for a lot of this stuff as that's how long the decking spindles are. Hindsight as they say.
intermediate coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom