quick answer on a shed

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Someone is selling one of these still packaged up, never put together, for not even half the original price http://lifetimeshed.com/SS-8x10.php . Think I can turn it into a bantam coop that stays warm in the winter for my seramas (we can get to -20F here) and not have it over heat in the summer? Need a quick answer before it's gone.

Forgot to mention I plan to heat with a small space heater so I won't be relying on just chicken body heat.

Link fixed. It was including the . in the url.

Last edited:
I cant get to the link - but I would say "you know whats right form your area". go with your instincts.

Last edited:
can't access the link, but a discount like that on a new shed is a GREAT find... if you have the funds & the room, I'd say go for it.
big_smile.png
ETA: not being able to see it, this is shooting in the dark, but if it doesn't have ventilation, how hard would it be to add some cutouts and/or windows you could relatch or replace when colder weather comes?

Last edited:
A lot of people use those plastic sheds for their chickens, I think it would probably be fine, Maybe line it on either the outside or inside with straw bales for extra insulation. and make sure the heater is in a cage of some sort so they cant tip it or get too close.

Nancy

Like the previous posters, I'm told "403 Forbidden" on that link... as far as winter warmth, you could stack haybales on the outside for additional insulation, just need to make sure it is large enough that any heatlamp you run will not be within a couple feet of any walls or ceiling (plastic fires, be they smoldering or flaming, are No Good). For summertime, worst case scenario you could replace the doors or one wall with all screen, yes? which combined with shade should keep the coop as cool as anything will be in your climate.

If those modifications would be ok with you then sure get the shed
wink.png
Although, if you don't need the shed right now, scrounging might produce as nice or nicer coop for the same money, I dunno, dpeends on the price.

Good luck,

Pat

It has 2 upper vents and a window that opens. I just wasn't sure how the plastic sheds did for temperature and if a small door could be cut for chickens to go in and out. Otherwise leaving the whole door open would make it impossible to heat.

I'd research that model carefully. I looked into resin sheds and read some reviews; many people reported that their models leaked. When I looked at the resin sheds set up outside Home Depot and Lowe's, I could easily see how leaking could be a problem based on the design of their models (the roof was composed of several plastic panels bolted together).

The walls of the shed don't seem to be very thick, so you'd probably want to insulate. That would mean you'd need to construct some kind of double wall system to keep your chickens from pecking the insulation...

And add ventilation by cutting holes in the plastic...as well as a chicken pop door. Sounds to me like a lot of hassle.

Back
Top Bottom