Quick! Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Wee Bird?

RowanTheRed

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
I need help identifying a baby bird.

And before I get scolded, WE DIDN'T bother a nest. This wee bird literally hopped up to Ron and started chirping at him. Its right eye is swollen red and matted closed. I gently cleaned it with sterile cotton swabs dipped in saline and it can open it now. However, it wrong go away. Its approximately a week old (by the feathering) and can almost fly a bit, but still needs help getting food. I need help figuring out what it is so I can figure out what to feed it!

I have experience with this a bit because we ended up with a day old robin last spring after it fell from the best when its siblings were eaten by a crow. We successfully raised it for almost 3 weeks before it was able to fly away and live I its own.

At first I thought it was a mockingbird, but its way too small for that. It doesn't have the correct markings for a wren. Perhaps a finch or something like it.
Here's the tiny one I need help identifying

20170529_121356.jpg

And the hurt eye
20170529_121302.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this wee one?

I'm pretty certain its a house finch. Not as easy to raise as a baby as Rocket the robin we raised last spring. Because this one is still to young for seeds it requires a soupy mix of sorts.

I'm going with poultry electrolytes mixed with boiled egg yolk, oatmeal and soggy cat food. Its all I can do I a short notice and I'm preparing for company for my son's HS graduation!

Oh, and I'm pretty certain the wee thing had a bird form of pink eye. So, disinfect disinfect disinfect and Kitts of washing hands before interacting with my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom