QUICK! Do I need to act??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Jun 10, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Muscovey hen spotted last two days with babies that look like goslings, but multicolor. At the lake at dusk tonight. She takes off and roosts at opposite side of lake. Babies alone in grass. Do I need to bring them in? They're not mine, but is it normal for her to leave them alone at night? I need quick answer almost dark here. Posting from my phone.

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    If you'r sure she is leaving them, then I would try. [​IMG] Maybe she just left them for a little while at their nest. [​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you! Actually, I'm not sure she's leaving them. The lake is small, and I know where she is roosting. There doesn't seem to be a nest, and these babies are not feathered at all, but they are pretty big, so maybe this is just the way she does it. The babies did not seem to be distressed at her leaving, although they did follow us for a little while. But then they just settled down in the grass right next to the lake and settled in.

So I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. I could do more harm than good by trying to help them, and I don't need more ducks right now anyway! lol

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    well if you take the keep us updated on everything please.

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks--I'll let y'all know if they're still there in the morning. [​IMG]

I left them alone with my long-standing belief that when it comes to nature, lots more harm than good is done by well-meaning humans who don't understand the situation. Since in this case I don't understand the situation, I decided the best option was to leave well enough alone.

I hope it was the right decision...

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Its probably best you left them as there are new Federal laws on the books concerning Wild or Ferral Muscovys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by