Quick dumb question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lovesgliders, Mar 16, 2012.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Can goslings have mealworms for treats? Some websites say geese are vegetarians and some say they enjoy bugs and might even snag a fish sometimes, so I'm confused!

My little girl is a Brown Chinese gosling, if that makes any difference.

Thank you so much!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Geese are vegetarians. However, mine love dry cat food, which is animal protein.

You can try offering them, but don't buy too many to start because I have never seen my geese eat bugs.

If you want to give treats, mine love collard greens and soft, slightly over-ripe apples. They also love pea plants; the whole plant. So those are thing you could try.

They also love romaine lettuce, but it has very little nutritional value so should be fed strictly as a treat.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Mine ate a snail once by mistake - he thought it was a piece of dry dog food. He loves dry cat food, too, but my vet advised me to give him dog food instead, as it contains less protein and fat. And only once in a while for a treat, not as food. I don't think he'd go for mealworms, and I certainly will not carry those around in my pocket. [​IMG]

4. Mine love watermelon -- rind and all. They will also gobble up cantalope and those apples. Mine actually picked their own fresh green apples last year out of the apple trees . . . as far as bugs, I think that is more for the ducks . . .

5. WildWoodsWoman

WildWoodsWoman Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Near Greenbay
    My Embdens love watermellon!

6. I should say though, that I can totally see the disapproving nasty food head shake after the snail -- mine do the head shake for everything from mashed potatoes, to gluten free rice bread (my daughter didn't like it either). Good thing the chickens aren't so picky. They also like dandilion flowers for some reason . . . nice in the spring . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by