1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quick hello from Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Azira, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Azira

Azira New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Hi all,

Just a quick introduction. I've been lurking for a while but decided to actually register and post today!

I'm pretty new to chickens, incubating and hatching some in October last year. They are still pretty young so yet to lay. I'm looking to keep for eggs and start breeding for meat, and hopefully along the way breed some quality birds too. But the all important factor to that is starting with the best stock I can. I'll get there eventually though I'm sure.

Anyway, that's all for now, a big thank you and hello, I've got a lot to read and learn!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

Sounds like you are on your way to accomplishing your goals.

If you haven't explored the site , there are great articles in the Learning Center to help with the care and management of our flocks.

Enjoy the forums.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock [​IMG] I think the best place for you to post is "Australia, six states and one funny little island." BYC has a large Aussie community participating on various threads here. You would probably find the best breeds suited for your climate in your local area. Hope you will update once you get started.

4. Azira

Azira New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome and the heads up about the Australian section, I hadn't seen that yet (but there is a lot to get through, lol).

I've currently got some Araucana, Silver Grey Dorking, Light Sussex and Gold Laced Wyandottes that I've raised since hatch, but I didn't actually get too many females from them so I've got some more Dorking pullets that are in quarantine and will eventually become part of the flock.

One of the Lavender Araucana cockerels I hatched is shaping up nicely, so he's gone to live with a friend who has 42 acres to play with. He'll be used to breed if I can find some nice hens to suit him. My friend has a couple of Marans so we might even use him to produce a few Olive Eggers for fun.

I was thinking of keeping my largest LS to be my starting point for my meat line, over my Dorkings and lone Sussex and Wyandotte. From there I'll either put to a Dorking rooster, or get an Indian Game. But that's not going to happen for a while as they are all only 16 weeks old at the moment!

Anyway, I'm rambling, Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard. It sounds like you have the chicken bug in a big way which is always good to hear.

All the best with your expansion plans!

CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on sunflour; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm very impressed you put your new birds in quarantine before mingling them with your existing flock! That's an important step too many try to by-pass. It sounds to me like you've done a lot of homework already.

Good luck with your flock, you have some wonderful plans.

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. Azira

Azira New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    I'm a bit paranoid about passing on illnesses so I want to make sure I take as many precautions as I could.

I wasn't even going to bring any live birds onto my property, only hatch them from fertile eggs, but I thought if I do it carefully I'll hopefully be ok. They are younger stock so it's helped anyway as they were too small to go straight in with the rest.

Thanks again all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by