Quick help on temperature please!

Irajoe

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
South Carolina
Just hatched one chick...amazing the ruckus that one chick can cause. So much for my being careful about turning the other 17 eggs after day 18!

Here's my question...and I know I have to get this right...

The chick that just hatched knocked my thermometer off of the "top of the egg" height stand...turning it upside down on the floor of the incubator.

So, after an hour of playing MacGyver, I finally managed to work my way through the vent holes and flip the thermometer upright...only now, the thermometer is on the wire floor of the incubator (in other words...at the base of the eggs instead of the top of the eggs).

I'm using an LG 9200 still air incubator. If measured at the base of the eggs (that's my only option at this point), what temperature should the thermometer read.

I'm grateful to learn from your experience!

at this point you should not have to mess with it at all, they should be fine, unless you open the bator up. i have the same bator. the temp should not change. the humidty should go up some because of the chicks hatching. now get ready for fussy but to keep you up all night. lol

That's comforting on a couple of fronts since this our first time hatching...

1) I had concerns that the constant chirping might mean the chick was cold...glad to hear that's not the case.

2) When I first turned the thermometer back upright, it read 95.6 degrees. Unfortunately, I adjusted the thermometer (thinking I might have bumped the incubator during the MacGyver moment and caused a slight temperature drop...my thermostat is pretty finicky). I have watched it carefully for about an hour now...it has read 97.9 degrees for the last 30 minutes. Does 97.9 on the floor of the incubator sound ok to you?

I've really enjoyed the 9200...I'm hoping for many more hatches just as much fun as this one.

I sure appreciate the advise!

Back
Top Bottom