Quick incubating question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Do duck eggs develop blood veins right away like chicken eggs? I set a duck egg each day for the last 4 days and the first one doesn't have any veining yet. Just wondering how that works. I'm really good at candling chicken eggs so I know what to look for in them, just checking to see if it is the same thing in ducks.

Perhaps her eggs are just infertile even though I have seen Duck Dodger mate with her [​IMG]

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    7 days is when they you should see veins

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Actually - that would make sense since they incubate longer! I can usually see veining on a white chicken egg by day 3 or 4.

4. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    does veining in duck eggs start a week after they're in the incubator or a week after they're laid?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Any fertile egg requires heat to start the growth process. If your eggs are fertile but have not been in the incubator or under a broody(except in rarer cases where it is REALLY hot outside and eggs are not gathered daily)they do not develop.
    ETA: I have heard of eggs developing if left on the counter under a light...but still...they need heat [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by