quick question about a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by belly, Jul 4, 2011.

1. belly

belly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Murray Utah
    Why would someone cut the back spurs down half way to a small nub on a rooster?

2. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    we are new to this but we have read and heard people talk about it and they say it is to keep the rooster from hurting the hens when breeding. also when you have more than one rooster and there is a fight its not quiet as bad.

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

You don't unless it gets so long that it inhibits the roos mobility. Then you only cut it back to 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch, any shorter and it can bleed. There are a lot of threads about that. Use the goole search and it will you find everything you want to know.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    To keep him from ripping the hens sides open when they breed. Also to keep the roo from being able to do as much damage should he be aggressive and attack a human. Even without spurs a flogging rooster can do quite a bit of damage. Also, they can get so long as to effect the rooster's gait. It doesn't hurt them unless you cut too far. Their spurs are equivalent to our fingernails.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I won't mess with my roo's spurs. He is the protector of my hens he might need them.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:True, but they can get too long. That's the only time I bother with trimming them.

7. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Gritty provides 3 good and valid reasons for blunting a rooster's spurs. In addition to this it is occassionally helpful to trim a rooster's toenails if he is ripping the hens' sides open. Anyone who has dealt with hens damaged in this fashion knows what trauma a rooster can cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by