Quick question about broody hen

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
So I've got a hen, I'm pretty sure she's broody because she sleeps on the nest instead of roosting with the other birds.
But she's still laying and during the day she is usually up and about wanting to be with the rest of the flock.

I let her out to be with the other birds today with the door to her isolation coop open, I figured either she'd come back to her nest and or she'd go back to being a regular hen and I'd have to do something about the eggs she left. She stayed off the nest for the better part of the day but was back on them when I went to lock everyone up for the night.

I thought she'd be on her eggs except to eat/drink/dust bathe/poop a couple of times a day, and that with some broodies you'd have to force them off to do those things. Is it normal for broodies to be up for longer periods in the beginning?

I'd probably take the eggs. Broodies usually only leave the nest long enough to eat, drink, poop HUGE, and dust bathe, generally only once or twice a day for probably not even 30 minutes. Incubation happens at higher than ambient temperatures, and the hen staying off the eggs all day won't get that done unless it's in the high 90s where the eggs are.

I'd probably take the eggs. Broodies usually only leave the nest long enough to eat, drink, poop HUGE, and dust bathe, generally only once or twice a day for probably not even 30 minutes. Incubation happens at higher than ambient temperatures, and the hen staying off the eggs all day won't get that done unless it's in the high 90s where the eggs are.

That's a shame. If I took the eggs I'd probably have to throw them out (or buy a new incubator, but I'm not sure I can one in time or if the eggs are even still viable).
I was wondering if maybe she was looking to increase her nest size a bit more but that doesn't really make sense when she's sitting on them at night.
It was a nice out today and the nesting box is insulated a bit still from when the weather was cooler. I'm not sure what temperature it was today but still probably not in the 90s.

There are birds who will wait until they have a full clutch to start sitting in earnest, and it isn't unheard of in chickens, but I don't think her sitting on them all night warming them and then off them all day letting them completely cool off is going to accomplish a hatch. Stranger things have happened, I've learned to never say never, especially when it comes to chickens ... well, birds in general, really, but the higher likelihood is that the eggs aren't going to hatch and meanwhile you are forfeiting them for no reason.

is this her first time? they can be a bit erratic in the early days, as you suggest. I had one like this last year, and really didn't expect any to hatch, but they did. On the other hand, it may be something else. Is she still laying? Some continue laying during the first week of brooding too, so that's not conclusive either, sadly. But she may just be sleeping there to avoid bullying on the roost overnight. If she really is going broody, you could set her on fresh eggs once her behaviour has settled down and she stays on the nest during the day, as well the night, bar the occasional pop-off to pooh, dustbathe and feed.

Yeah, it's her first time. She's a week or two shy from being a year old at that.
From what I've seen, she has a pretty high place in the flock's pecking order, but I'll still watch to make sure.

Thank you both!
I think I've figured out what I'll do. I'll give her a few days, up to a week or so, then go in and candle the eggs.
If they're developing, great! She can keep sitting and doing whatever she's doing if it's working.
If they're not, I'll have to get rid of them due to the age, but since I don't have an incubator or another broody hen right now I'd have to do that anyway. If she's settled down and figured out how to be broody since I might consider giving her a new nest, but if she's not I'll try to break her of being broody.

I don't think she's broody. I have a hen who sleeps in the nest box all the time. She's a heavy breed too. If she's pooping in it, not broody. If she isn't pooping, isn't laying, and is barely leaving the nest day or night, she's broody.

Back
Top Bottom