Quick question about hatching

Sarayes

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
Hi, 2 of these duck eggs externally pipped yesterday morning, so over 30 hours ago. They stopped and rested for almost a whole 24 hours, which I have read is normal. This morning they started pecking again and have made a couple of good cracks and holes in the shell, one of them is still working away but the egg with the hole seems to have completely stopped. There’s still movement in the egg, as far as I can tell, although I don’t want to keep handling now that it has a hole in case I transfer germs.

Is it normal for them to take long rests when they’re at the point of actually breaking open the egg? When I say long rests, there’s been no progress for 6 hours.

Yes, it's normal. Ducks hatch much slower then chicks do. Just make sure they aren't getting shrink wrapped. Good luck!
Okay that’s good! Just wanted to make sure. This one was way ahead of the others but now the others have caught up, was worried something might be wrong but hopefully not!

Hi, 2 of these duck eggs externally pipped yesterday morning, so over 30 hours ago. They stopped and rested for almost a whole 24 hours, which I have read is normal. This morning they started pecking again and have made a couple of good cracks and holes in the shell, one of them is still working away but the egg with the hole seems to have completely stopped. There’s still movement in the egg, as far as I can tell, although I don’t want to keep handling now that it has a hole in case I transfer germs.

Is it normal for them to take long rests when they’re at the point of actually breaking open the egg? When I say long rests, there’s been no progress for 6 hours.
Ducks are very slow and stressful ;)
As long as they are going around the egg even if it’s slow they are in the correct position and will hatch when ready
There is guidelines of 24 hours after external pip but that’s with a perfect air cell and a baby that waits 24 hours to external pip.
Some little ones have smaller air cells and external faster or some get excited and pip faster but in all cases they still need the same time to absorb the yolk
Encourage them with some talking , whistling and tapping the glass on bator.
Please post pictures of the new little ones
Baby pics are a must on BYC:)

Ducks are very slow and stressful ;)
As long as they are going around the egg even if it’s slow they are in the correct position and will hatch when ready
There is guidelines of 24 hours after external pip but that’s with a perfect air cell and a baby that waits 24 hours to external pip.
Some little ones have smaller air cells and external faster or some get excited and pip faster but in all cases they still need the same time to absorb the yolk
Encourage them with some talking , whistling and tapping the glass on bator.
Please post pictures of the new little ones
Baby pics are a must on BYC:)
Oh thanks so much! I don’t mind waiting if I know they’re okay, it’s the fear of not knowing isn’t it! One of them is making a lot of progress now he’s almost out! So exciting. Want to leave them alone but also don’t want to miss anything 😂

Back
Top Bottom