Quick Question about hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Mar 27, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I just set my eggs today, but in reading and looking at pics I noticed a lot of people have the non slip shelf/drawer lining on top of the wire. I will have to use my same bator for hatching, so when I remove the turner at the right time, should I place some of this non slip stuff in before I put the eggs back in. Of course this is assuming that I actually have growth in them when I candle. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sure, that's a good idea. It keeps the wire cleaner and you can actually just toss the liner away or bleach it and use it next time, but it's cheap enough to just toss and not risk any contamination in your next hatch.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks! Figured I'd better be prepared, or at least give myself stuff to do while waiting.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I lay my eggs right on the wire and do not have any problems.

Jody

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Certainly, you don't have to use it. I just like it because the eggs don't seem to roll around as much, give it sort of a non-skid surface.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i was told to use it because it is better for the legs of the chicks to prevent those crooked legs. That liner is dirt cheap too . like 96 cent at Malwart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by