Quick question about winter storms and bath time

I am just south of into_the_wind and only have Muscovy ducks so can't speak for other breeds. Everything here is frozen, -25C again this morning, and major snow storm on the way. My ducks do not have a pool during the winter and they do fine. I don't have heated bowls because too far to run electricity to coop/run. Instead they have deep, gravity feed dog water bowls which I fill with luke warm water. Replaced them 3 times yesterday and expect to do so again today.

It's just a 100 gallon stock tank with a heater in it. During the summer, I drain it and refill it about twice a week, because it gets so filthy. It's above our vegetable garden, so with a 100 foot hose, I can syphon it into the garden. But it's been clear for a month now.
Oh right! I forgot what a stock tank was, now I remember 🤣. I was excited that it might be something else…ha ha. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing next summer with my garden! Happy to know that it works well for you, thanks 🙂

I am just south of into_the_wind and only have Muscovy ducks so can't speak for other breeds. Everything here is frozen, -25C again this morning, and major snow storm on the way. My ducks do not have a pool during the winter and they do fine. I don't have heated bowls because too far to run electricity to coop/run. Instead they have deep, gravity feed dog water bowls which I fill with luke warm water. Replaced them 3 times yesterday and expect to do so again today.
Gonna be the same here today…absolutely frigid🥶 Gravity fed bowls is a great idea. Someone needs to design them big enough for duck head dipping. Im going to try making one with a large rubber bowl and a Home Depot bucket. Saw it on YouTube. Wish me luck and stay warm!

My big dog water dish reservoir is 14" high, bowl is 3" deep x 9" wide so big enough for my Muscovy drakes to completely dunk their heads. I've seen ducklings use them as a mini-pool in the summer. You should be able to find them locally at Walmart or pet shops. I have 3 so always able to have a fresh one to put out while others thaw.

Don’t your ducks ever poop and then sit on it during the night? I keep the barn very clean, but still had to fill an “emergency bath” for my girls today once the temp rose to a comparatively tropical 13 degrees Fahrenheit as they were all in desperate need after days and days of sub-zero temps.

I'm sure they do but they waddle out every morning very clean.
The daytime highs have not been above freezing for weeks nor will they be. I would need a jack hammer to get my coop floor clear as the poop piles freeze rock hard. At least there is no smell. I use the deep bedding method and keep adding more shavings on top. As soon as I can, I use a flat shovel to clean it all out.
Right now I can see my ducks in the run enjoying the sunshine and protected from the wind. Got to go take out their third serving of fresh water.

I do a deep bedding too--add a thin layer of shavings a couple times a week. In the super frigid cold, though, I put old hay in there, to give them something to nestle into, though they do end up flattening it eventually (and yes, pooping on it).

I use large rubber bowls as waterers for our ducks. Here in Southeastern PA, we've had a few days here and there that have been so very cold (In the teens with wind chills in single digits) The ducks hunker down on those days and don't do much swimming in the bowls. I've been replacing the water with hot/warm water at least 2x a day on those really cold days. I'm just grateful for days that are in the 30s. (Never thought I'd say that as I hate being cold, but when it comes to farm animals, that's not too cold I guess) I don't keep water in the coop. They are locked up at night in the coop and I have at least 6 inches of chips in there to keep them warm and dry. So far so good. I'm just hoping that we don't have too many super cold days. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom