Quick question about winter storms and bath time

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
So recently we have had some pretty nasty winter weather with temperatures down to 0°F. The ducks have mostly been staying in their covered duck run, and the storm has coincided with a sick duck we've been nursing inside with a friend for company. I'm wondering how often we should provide some clean water for the outside ducks to take a bath—the two inside have been getting bathtub time, but the last time we gave swimming water to the outside ducks was two days ago. My main question is just how long can they go without bath water or how frequently we should try to provide them some during such cold weather. I know their oil gland needs exposure to water to activate and that helps them with their cleaning so I just wanted some best-practice from folks who have more experience with severe winter conditions and ducks.

I really don't know the answer to that, so I hope others who live in colder climates chime in. I live in western Washington and we've been having record cold temps for here. I've been putting my hose away at night and covering the spigot and still refilling the duck's pond every couple of day or two so they can swim. If you expect cold temps all winter hopefully you can get some tips from other cold-weather dwellers, and maybe this reply will bump your question to the top. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable going beyond a week with my ducks not swimming, but you will find people on this forum who say ducks don't need to swim. I try my best to give my ducks what they like, but realize that everyone has such different circumstances. I'm sure my ducks would like to free range all the time, but it's not safe for them, so they are limited in that area.

I don't know if this applies to other breeds. I have Muscovy ducks. They enjoy their kiddie pools from spring to fall, but they are more splashers than swimmers. I don't provide a pool at all once freeze up starts. I do provide a deep water dish. It is a gravity feed water supply usually used for large dogs. It is deep enough for them to totally dunk their heads so they are able to clean their nostrils and groom themselves.
I take one filled with room temperature water in the morning, and another a noon. On really cold days, they are frozen by shut in time. Take them in each evening to thaw.

I live in Vermont. During the winter, I take advantage of the decent days (today being one of them) and encourage everyone to bathe as thoroughly as possible. Then, it’s hit or miss. I’d rather they not bathe when it is below 20 degrees or so, although wind and sunlight (or the lack thereof) also play a role in my decision. I always give them rotating rubber livestock feeding bowls for drinking water (switched out AM and PM) which are deep enough to stick their full head and bill into. Sometimes, they stick their whole body in, which I would rather they didn’t. Anyways, January, February, and the first week or so of March are truly rough and they can go a week or more without an official bathing opportunity. I have not had any feather quality issues in the 4 years I’ve been doing this. Sometimes, they make a poor life decision and jump in their drinking bowl when the temperature is truly horrible and then have to thaw out. This is rougher on their feathers than not bathing at all. For the record, I have Rouens and Muscovies.

We've had a heater in the duck tank for the last two winters. Their first winter, they bathed down to about 10F (crazy, I know), but this winter they haven't gotten into it at ALL. No idea what's different this winter. They seem to be more sensitive to the cold, staying inside on truly frigid days. As long as they have food, shelter, and water, I'm not worrying about it too much--I assume they can do what's best for them. (They are locked up at night, and the LGD seems to be keeping the predators away during the day, when they pretty much have the run of the whole farm.)

We've had a heater in the duck tank for the last two winters. Their first winter, they bathed down to about 10F (crazy, I know), but this winter they haven't gotten into it at ALL. No idea what's different this winter. They seem to be more sensitive to the cold, staying inside on truly frigid days. As long as they have food, shelter, and water, I'm not worrying about it too much--I assume they can do what's best for them. (They are locked up at night, and the LGD seems to be keeping the predators away during the day, when they pretty much have the run of the whole farm.)
Tell me more about your duck tank please! What is it?? I’m in rural Ottawa, Ontario Canada with Indian Runner ducks where keeping water and keeping it from freezing is a challenge. So far I use the thick rubber buckets with the submersible heater mentioned above which works great. The dumbs dumbs still hop in and bathe at -40c !! A tank that holds water and is suitable for ducks for drinking would be wonderful!!

Tell me more about your duck tank please! What is it?? I’m in rural Ottawa, Ontario Canada with Indian Runner ducks where keeping water and keeping it from freezing is a challenge. So far I use the thick rubber buckets with the submersible heater mentioned above which works great. The dumbs dumbs still hop in and bathe at -40c !! A tank that holds water and is suitable for ducks for drinking would be wonderful!!

Back
Top Bottom