Quick question due to a cold snap tonight

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Me back with yet another question 😂

We're going down to -4C tonight in the UK, our ducks like to sleep outside in their enclosure usually, when it gets below 0 like a month ago cold we put them in an inside section of our outbuilding with thick straw on the floor, some water and food, to keep them out of the worst of it at night, during the day we let them back out to the enclosure. This area has no windows for natural light though. The door has a few gaps for air.

We're planning to do the same thing to ight but we have a conundrum, we need to leave the house at 5am to get to work, normally we'll give them some fresh water and food for the day and done, I'll be back home at around 2:30pm. The coldest part of the night is at 5-7am when it's -4. By 10am it'll be -2 and back up to 0 at 12pm

My question is what to do with these two options.

1. We let them back out into the enclosure at 5, with fresh water and food but no pond. I'm worried about the water freezing between 5 and when I get home and them being stuck with no water though, and the fact they'll be outside in -4 to -2 temps.

2. We keep them in the inside section of the outbuilding and I'll let them out when I'm home at 2. We have a long lasting battery lantern that will provide them with light during the day. The water will be less likely to freeze. But I'm unsure how good the airflow is for a full night and day.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I'm not a duck expert, but if the airflow inside is good enough for one night, I would guess it is probably good enough for one day as well.

From what I've read, those temperatures are probably not a big deal for ducks, especially if they have thick bedding to stand on and snuggle into. So the water would be the main issue.

Here's a recent thread where several people share about ducks being fine in weather colder than that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ked-up-during-this-arctic-cold-front.1557942/

If the water is outside, you may be able to put it where the sun will shine, which may help warm it a little sooner than would happen inside. I don't know if this would overall be better or worse than having them indoors.

Either way, I would definitely provide warm water in big containers, so it will go as long as possible before freezing. Duck body temperature is 41-42 degrees Celsius, so you could have the water at least that warm without any danger of burning them.

Is there a possibility of having a neighbor come give them fresh water in the late morning? If that is possible, it might be the easiest solution.

Even if they are without water, since you are planning to be home well before dark, they will probably be OK if you give them water again then. As long as it's not very often, most animals will survive juts fine for a few hours without water, even though they may not be happy about it. They won't usually have health issues or die.

I'm not a duck expert, but if the airflow inside is good enough for one night, I would guess it is probably good enough for one day as well.

From what I've read, those temperatures are probably not a big deal for ducks, especially if they have thick bedding to stand on and snuggle into. So the water would be the main issue.

Here's a recent thread where several people share about ducks being fine in weather colder than that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ked-up-during-this-arctic-cold-front.1557942/

If the water is outside, you may be able to put it where the sun will shine, which may help warm it a little sooner than would happen inside. I don't know if this would overall be better or worse than having them indoors.

Either way, I would definitely provide warm water in big containers, so it will go as long as possible before freezing. Duck body temperature is 41-42 degrees Celsius, so you could have the water at least that warm without any danger of burning them.

Is there a possibility of having a neighbor come give them fresh water in the late morning? If that is possible, it might be the easiest solution.

Even if they are without water, since you are planning to be home well before dark, they will probably be OK if you give them water again then. As long as it's not very often, most animals will survive juts fine for a few hours without water, even though they may not be happy about it. They won't usually have health issues or die.
Unfortunately we don't have any neighbours we'd trust with giving them water, but we'll definitely do the warm water trick, thanks for that! We'll probably still let them out instead of keeping them inside so that they get their natural light, hopefully won't be too bad for them and we're planning a foot check on Friday when the weather warms up to make sure they are all fine :)

Thanks for your help!

My suggestion would be to let them out at 5 with food and water, then more water when you get home at 2. They don't need food and water during the night. They will be fine.
My daytime highs are now -10 so nights are much colder. My ducks are locked in their coop at sunset with no food or water. I let them out into the run around 6:30 with food and water, and take out fresh water around noon.

Back
Top Bottom