Quick question, might be repeat but I need fast help...

superstarfarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
How many hrs/days can the chicks stay in the bator without food or water. Mine are hatching right now and I am debating on putting them in the brooder or leaving them in the bator because I have a rabbit show early tommorrow and it will take all the day...
th.gif

Also it my first hatch...3 down 5 more to go but so far so good.
wee.gif

I've heard up to 3 days is ok- as the yolk sac keeps them fed during that time. I've had day old chicks shipped and they arrived when they were about 3 days old or 2 days-I forget-they were fine then. Everyone experienced here says "do not open that incubator during those few days! " I know there are exceptions too though. I'd leave them in while you're at your rabbit show and check on the reamining eggs once you're home again.
Hope that helps

Thank you, I was thinking that it would be okay but i didn't want to go to the show without a little advice. i will leave them and then transfer them to the brooder tommorrow evening. send hatching vibes, the fourth is zipping now, so far we are pushing 50%. I'm happy for a first time bator mom. The best part was that the first one hatched during daycare so my children/preschoolers got to witness it. It was truely amazing to see it through their eyes.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
All I have heard is dont open it. I'm on my first hatch too. They can live 2 or 3 days on yolk. Wait til the last minute before you open it just to be safe. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom