Quick question- netting (Electric- sorry wasn't specific)

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
I'm in the middle of an order, and i'm not sure how much to get. There's 164 foot rolls and 87 foot rolls. (Something like that anyway.)
I have about 30 chickens, 3 ducks, 1 goose, and about to have 2 goat kids.
How much area do I need? I was thinking 164 might be enough, but i'm not sure. i have no concept of space.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering if you are wanting to use the netting to go over the top of your fencing or if you are wanting to use the netting as actual fencing?

I wouldn't use it for fencing, most especially if you are going to have goats. It won't keep predators away from your chickens either if used as fencing. If you put it over the top of your fencing it will keep birds/hawks away from your chickens though.

It seems you are wanting to know what size of outside run to have for the animals you listed? You want to have 10 sq. feet per standard size chicken, so if you have standards you need 300 sq. ft. just for the chickens. I don't know what the general rule of thumb is for ducks and geese but I'm sure it's at least 10 sq. ft. per bird for them also.

What breed of goats are you getting? Small ones (like Nigerian Dwarfs/Pygmies) require less fence space than large breeds. I have 2 ND's in a 640 ish sq. ft. space and they are fine but I, personally, wouldn't make it any smaller after watching them play around. Plus, mine are out everyday, most of the day, to free range with the chickens.

Fencing. I need to move it every few days. It's electrified netting- sorry should have mentioned that. I got in a hurry. The goats are mixes..

Lets try this again, when i'm NOT trying to do 5 things at once.
I'm ordering electrified poultry netting from Premiere. It will be used as moveable fencing for the aforementioned animals. I have another run that i'm putting the bantams in, so the standards and the waterfowl mafia are the only ones that will be in with the goats, which are pygmy mixes.
By my math, with only a 164' roll, that's 41' on each side making 1681 sq feet. 30 chickens, the ducks and the goats... the chickens need 10 per bird so that's 300 sq ft. Lets say the ducks and geese need 20, that's another 80 sq feet. And that leaves something like another 1300 square feet for the goats. Sound ok? More?

Last edited:
87' will give you a square that is only slightly more than 20' on a side. Like roughly small garage-sized. The larger roll will give you a square roughly 40' on a side - four times as much area enclosed. One large plus one small roll will give you a square a bit over 60' on a side - a LOT more area enclosed

I think you need the 160', at least, personally.

Good luck, have fun, make sure you have enough charger to run the fence (it requires a LOT more oomph than a similar length of plain electric fence would),

Pat

Last edited:
BTW, have the goats and poultry been in together before and how did they get along. My main concern with a smaller-rather-than-larger area would be that the goats would get Bored and Creative and decide to play interesting games with the chickens and cause massive panic and/or escapage. If they're used to being together in a smallish area already, obviously this is not a concern.

Just a thought,

Pat

No, I haven't picked the goats up yet.. I was hoping that with enough room I wouldn't have an issue.. part of what i'm closing in has a downed tree in it that they should have some fun with
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom