Quick question on breed.... no one will answer in the breeding section

OOOOOHHHH!!! That's a great question! I sooo wish I knew the answer!
thumbsup.gif
I'm sure there is someone on here who will know the answer. I saw some pics on here of Lemon Blue Cochins that made me
droolin.gif
!!!

That would be intresting to know. I wonder if it can happen though because they are not multi colored like cochin can be.
idunno.gif
Orpingtons are usually just one color. They sure would be pretty.
wink.png

ya i know... hens work better than a bator... but none of my hens are broody right now....... i keep waiting and waiting and waiting but nothing yet.... i want them to go broody so much... cause then i can get eggs... because my friend is the one that would hatch them for me but his are full.... only 5 of the eggs are from my hens.

Any colour that's been done is possible.....& then some.
tongue.png

Buff X blue will not give lemon blue, or anything like.
wink.png

I think lemon blue is probably inhibitor of gold on blue duckwing bird.

I've just looked at lemon blue birds on feathersite. They look as if they're blue birchen (or is it called crowwing?) & probably not inhibitor of gold.

Last edited:
I think that Lemon Blue comes from a cross of Brown Red and Blue . It's my understanding that the OldEnglish breeders get Lemon Blues with this cross .

Quote:

I think brown red, birchen (gold), & crowing are probably names for the same thing, though brown red might have mahogany....they're all ER birds. A cross between an ER with a blue then the offspring back to an ER bird would get some offspring which are lemon blue as in the pics on Feathersite.

When trying to find pictures of what was meant by "lemon blue" I found some pictures of some cochins described as "lemon blue" which are a totally different colour.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2196500#p2196500
They don't look as if they'd breed true. One might achieve that effect from crossing blue with buff & possibly various crosses between offspring & parents.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom