quick question on gamebird/layer

Kittymomma

Songster
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Olympia, WA
Hi everybody,

I'm hoping I can get a few quick opinions before heading out to the feed store. I have a mixed flock ages from 22 weeks-19 months. The older girls are all in molt and a few are having a really hard time. I'm thinking about switching to 22% gamebird feed for the next month or so until they're finished with molting. They all have free choice oyster shell and grit and also free range a good part of the day. Will the higher protien have any adverse affects on the youngsters and will it really be helpfull for the ones in molt? It's about $8 more a bag and I don't mind doing it if it will help them, but don't want to throw money away if it's not going to be helpfull or worse yet could be harmfull.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks. I should have asked this last night. I'm getting ready to leave and wrestling with this question and it occurs to me----ASK people who know. Why did you choose to use the gamebird instead of layer?

Because Gamebird Breeder/Layer has animal proteins where other feeds are soy.

If I were you, I would just put them on flock raiser for a little while.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Because Gamebird Breeder/Layer has animal proteins where other feeds are soy.

If I were you, I would just put them on flock raiser for a little while.

Ok, now I have to expose more of my ignorance. I was just looking at protien content thinking that higher protien would help with feather growth. If I'm understanding correctly flock raiser is soy based and high protien and gambird is animal based and high protien? Sorry to be such a pain about this, but I know that the folks at the feed store aren't going to be any help with these kind of questions.​

Quote:
Purina gamebird feed is my choice to grow long beautiful feathers on my pheasant roosters. Cheaper feeds do grow the roosters to normal size but the purina feed with the animal protien grows the tail feathers much better which most customers that buy them want. I have never found a good recipe for tailfeather soup but hunters like them long.
clap.gif
Still looking for a good recipe for antler stew if anyone has one.

Well I'm back from the feed store. Neither of the feed stores close to me carry Purina. I ended up buying Woodland gamebird flight developer. It has 22% protien and most of it is from soy, but it does also have pork meal in it. I hope this works and gives my poor molting hens the boost they need. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

If anybody has more recomendations, or can tell me what they feed their mixed flock and why--what has worked well and what hasn't I'd still love to hear about it. This is an ongoing learning experience for me and I figure the more people I can learn from the better off my critters will be.

Most poultry feeds are the minimum protein level needed instead of the ideal since protein is the most expensive component of feed. I also can't get non medicated chick starter here. So all mine get 22% game bird feed for all ages. The chicks feather faster and tend to be hardier and the hens lay better.

I'd go with game bird feed over flock raiser. Flock raiser is an attempt to level out all the nutrients needed by all stages of life but it really doesn't have everything that any age group needs. You are better off using game bird feed and putting out oyster shell for the hens. I'd only feed flock raiser to a pen of roosters that I didn't care if they grew quickly.

Back
Top Bottom