Quick Question/Quick Response

GA Homesteader

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Senoia GA
I have a flock of 26 eight week old straight run chicks. Tuesday I took my daily trip out to the run and noticed that one of my Buffs was wheezing and having labored breathing with every breath. I recorded a video...it was sad. The little chick was not sneezing but I decided to quarantine the chick anyways. So, off to the chicken hospital it went and off I went to Tractor Supply to purchase some Tylan-50. I figured that this was more than just an allergy and it came on super sudden! So I babied the chick in the house for a while (which was really cute....especially when it talked to me the entire time I was cooking dinner) giving it a chance to rest and have some peace. Chicken diapers are a must and fun to make! I administered .25ml (1/4 cc) of Tylan orally because I was not sure if I could give the little one a shot. I mean, I know I can give it a shot but was not confident in the size of the breast and didn't want to puncture anything if I went in too far. I will administer this dosage for 5 days. Today it still has a little wheezing but it isn't as loud. Today I went to check on the flock again and look for some serious signs of trouble. Did not notice anything at first until I came across another Buff that was breathing very heavily (no wheezing) and sneezed 4 times in two minutes. So, off to the chicken hospital it went with the same dosage administered as stated above. My other guy was so happy for a buddy. It cried for a while last night when it didn't have a friend to sleep with. So far I have not heard any sneezing and no one has runny eyes or watery noses. We keep pine shavings in their coop floor (deep liter method) which we changed as soon as we heard the first one wheezing. The roost has poop boards under neath and the poop boards are covered with sweet PDZ. Plenty of ventilation. But they don't sleep on their roosts yet. So my question is this: Should I treat the whole flock or play it by ear? I don't want to jump the gun but I also don't want to lose any of my little guys.

P.S. I have heard the little one sneeze since I quickly administered the Tylan.
P.P.S. it really pays to spend time daily with you flock and know how to look for these things. Thankful I have the time to do this.

I would not treat the whole flock. I'm not convinced that you have anything going on yet. The wheezing you described in the first one could be stridor from having something stuck in the throat or airway--it could be an object or a piece of food or abnormal tissue growth. Sneezing on occasion is fairly normal from dust or feed. How is the first one doing today? Here is a good link to read which includes most of the respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I just had to cull all 8 of my layers because of a sneezing and labored breathing. I have 39 other birds less than 2 1 month and I am trying to prevent what ever the unless is from spreading. I dropped 2 layers off at the state lab for testing and I am currently awaiting the results. Keep a close eye on the rest of your flock and sanitize everything

Mine started similarly to yours I did use tylan for the whole flock for five days
But the ordinal three poorly hens were still having symptoms
Now most of the flock have runny noses but I'm not going to medicate yet
I have a new antibiotic doxycycline just incase but I'm holding off as I think they might recover without it

I would not treat the whole flock.  I'm not convinced that you have anything going on yet.  The wheezing you described in the first one could be stridor from having something stuck in the throat or airway--it could be an object or a piece of food or abnormal tissue growth.  Sneezing on occasion is fairly normal from dust or feed.  How is the first one doing today?  Here is a good link to read which includes most of the respiratory diseases and symptoms:  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you for the response and link. That was an informative read. Today the first one is still wheezing but not as labored and not as loudly. I will order the stuff to treat my flock but will hold off until I see if something more is going on. :)

I just had to cull all 8 of my layers because of a sneezing and labored breathing. I have 39 other birds less than 2 1 month and I am trying to prevent what ever the unless is from spreading. I dropped 2 layers off at the state lab for testing and I am currently awaiting the results. Keep a close eye on the rest of your flock and sanitize everything

I'm sorry that you had to cull all of your layers. That's a big loss. This kind of stuff seems to come on so quickly and keeping it in check can be hard and stressful. I hope the testing gives you informative and useful information so you can save your other 39. Thank you for your input. We have sanitized everything and I'll keep watching them.

Mine started similarly to yours I did use tylan for the whole flock for five days
But the ordinal three poorly hens were still having symptoms
Now most of the flock have runny noses but I'm not going to medicate yet
I have a new antibiotic doxycycline just incase but I'm holding off as I think they might recover without it

I would love to hold off on medicating but want the option if the need arises. I read about doxycycline and I may one day get some to keep on hand in my chicken first aid kit. :D I hope that you chicks recover quickly and feel better soon! Thanks for the reply!

Here in Tennessee you can have an animal tested for free. I just called them up and dropped them off. I only live about 40 minutes away so it was not bad

Back
Top Bottom