Quick question regarding nest design and placement.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fisher39, Mar 16, 2012.

1. fisher39

fisher39 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    I see a lot of plans for the chicken coops that have panels/flaps that lift up for easy egg collecting. Is this necessary? I'm building a fairly large coop and didn't plan such an opening and would like to just have 12 nests line a 12-foot long wall. I plan on just entering the coop and reaching into the nests to collect the eggs.

1. Will I cause any problems by walking into the coop to take the eggs? Do people only do the flaps for convenience? This convenience is not something I really care about.

2. Is there anything wrong with having so many nests (12) all next to each other on one wall? It's just easier to build that way.

Thanks!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Trust me, they will never use all 12 nest. They will use and pile into 5-6 of them or rather wait than use one of "those other" nest boxes. I like the nest boxes that you can reach in from the outside. i will be able to send my kids to collect eggs withou worrying too much that they accidently let the chickens out( or get trampled by them to get out the door [​IMG]

3. fisher39

Jul 12, 2011
    Yeah I know 12 is currently overkill. I'm going to get 20-25 bantams soon, so it's a bit much. However, they multiply fast, so I'm hoping to have enough nests in case I need to house 40-60 of them.

So apparently going inside the coop is not a problem?

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    no it no problem

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    not a problem at all. I just prefer the ease of running out and open the flap and grab the eggs.

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Poopy shoes. [​IMG]

We keep mud boots for heading out to the coop.

7. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Not a problem at all, although i have always like it when the boxes are stacked because some chickens prefer different heights.. And always have at least on that is on the ground if you plan letting the go broody... But what i meant was like have 4 over 4 over 4 like this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/15-bird-metal-nest-box

Hope this helps
    -Caleb

8. fisher39

Jul 12, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I read the first few comments saying one row is ok, so I'm almost done with it. I didn't think some would prefer different heights... hopefully they won't care too much.

Regarding broody ones, I was thinking that once they hatch, I could just move the hen and the chicks down to an enclosed pen on the ground. Would that work? I don't see why they can't just do their hatching in one of the regular boxes.

Thanks!

9. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I have eight Boxes for 10 Laying hens at the moment and they only use three or four of them. I don't see a problem with having a few extras.[​IMG]

10. Nslangton

Nslangton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    I just watched my neighbors flock of 13 hens for two weeks. She has 14 nest boxes. Every egg except one was laid in the same nest box. I decided on 2 boxes for my 7 hens. I will have to enter the coop to collect them. Won't mind that, I have them an arms length from the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by