Quick question regarding nest design and placement.

fisher39

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I see a lot of plans for the chicken coops that have panels/flaps that lift up for easy egg collecting. Is this necessary? I'm building a fairly large coop and didn't plan such an opening and would like to just have 12 nests line a 12-foot long wall. I plan on just entering the coop and reaching into the nests to collect the eggs.

1. Will I cause any problems by walking into the coop to take the eggs? Do people only do the flaps for convenience? This convenience is not something I really care about.

2. Is there anything wrong with having so many nests (12) all next to each other on one wall? It's just easier to build that way.

Thanks!

Trust me, they will never use all 12 nest. They will use and pile into 5-6 of them or rather wait than use one of "those other" nest boxes. I like the nest boxes that you can reach in from the outside. i will be able to send my kids to collect eggs withou worrying too much that they accidently let the chickens out( or get trampled by them to get out the door
lau.gif

Yeah I know 12 is currently overkill. I'm going to get 20-25 bantams soon, so it's a bit much. However, they multiply fast, so I'm hoping to have enough nests in case I need to house 40-60 of them.

So apparently going inside the coop is not a problem?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I read the first few comments saying one row is ok, so I'm almost done with it. I didn't think some would prefer different heights... hopefully they won't care too much.

Regarding broody ones, I was thinking that once they hatch, I could just move the hen and the chicks down to an enclosed pen on the ground. Would that work? I don't see why they can't just do their hatching in one of the regular boxes.

Thanks!

I have eight Boxes for 10 Laying hens at the moment and they only use three or four of them. I don't see a problem with having a few extras.

I just watched my neighbors flock of 13 hens for two weeks. She has 14 nest boxes. Every egg except one was laid in the same nest box. I decided on 2 boxes for my 7 hens. I will have to enter the coop to collect them. Won't mind that, I have them an arms length from the door.

Back
Top Bottom