Quick question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mr chicken dude, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    I am new to this chicken stuff and don't know all the ropes yet...But what exactly is a broody hen????[​IMG]

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    first off [​IMG] and second youve entered a dangerose thing! having chickens is HIGHLY addictive and third a broody hen is a hen that is hatching eggs under her. Shes kinda being an incubator.

they set on the eggs for id say about 25 days to hatch chicks

this link might help you..

http://www.raising-chickens.info/chicken-raising-terms-from-b---m.php

tell me if it works

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hen's aren't always interested in hatching eggs. When she "goes broody," her brain clicks on and she changes from a hen who drops an egg in the nest and walks away without a care to a hen who will fight for her eggs and even steal eggs from other hens with the one goal of hatching them.

Some hens lay for years and never have the desire to hatch. Others go broody several times a year.

4. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Thanks guys for the replys.

5. Ghostchick

Ghostchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    My EE hen is broody and does her darndest to hatch golf balls! We take the eggs away from he as she growls at us. No chicks for us yet!

6. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    One of my BA hens gets quite vocal when I take eggs away from her. I think I may let her sit on a clutch just to see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by