Quick question

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
In the spring I have been offered some lavender guineas eggs. The problem is I have been offered before but someone told me since I live on a creek and free range all my birds that guineas would be a horrible choice as they are umm....lets say not "mental giants" and would drown in my creek, is this true?

Thanks!

First of all, I completely disagree wiyh people who think Guineas are stupid. Mentally challenged maybe.
Kidding aside, no they won't drown in your creek.
I don't know why so many poultry people think Guineas are dumb. I don't agree at all. I find them to be smarter than both my turkeys and chickens.

There have been many cases of folks who have both a creek & guinea's once they cross the creek it may take days for them to figure out how to get back, no kidding. They are as smart as a box of hair, but lot's of folks like them anyway in spite of their brain cells.

AL

Well, if you free range night and day, the guineas may have trouble learning to stay home. You'll want to keep them confined during brooding so they know where home is (we kept ours in the coop for six weeks).

I guess I could maybe see a six-week guinea drowning itself in a fit of foolishness. But no more so than a six-week old chicken might. On the other hand, at six weeks they can fly like the dickens, so it would probably fly right out of the water anyway.

I agree that guineas are not at all stupid, though they are very easily distracted. Teaching them to go back into the coop at night was quite the challenge.

We think ours are great. They like to follow us around and see what we're doing. They've actually turned out more interested in our activities than almost all of the chickens. I'd get them if I were you.

My property is bordered on two sides by creeks. The guineas go down to drink, nobody has drowned yet! Today they flew over for the first time, which was unfortunate, but I was able to herd them to the edge and then spook them to fly back. No problem!

I raised my two as 6 week old keets - what they lack in brains they make up for in loyalty and a great sense of humor. You will never be alone if you raise a Guinea! They follow me to the bus stop in the morning, walk behind me (and DH) as we do chores in the yard - peek in windows, and talk talk talk! Lots of fun. Get some I say!
Laura

Totally disagree that Guineas are dumb, mentally challenged etc. Love mine. They are about 9 wks old and live with chicks...that are a few days older then them. Moved them to thier new coop about 3 wks ago. Started to let them out in a 20 x 20 chainlink pen. Few chicks came out the first time, followed quickly by the keets. Everybody goes in and out...this is their 4th time out in pen....keets go right in with the chicks. I love to watch them. They're nutty. Race around the ourside of the coop, chasing each other and screaming. I also love to listen to them ! Perhaps I'm the one that's mentally challenged ?? LOL Get some...you'll enjoy them.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Well I'll go for it then. I think they are beautiful and I for one love the sound they make. As for herding them back to the coop I'm already out there every evening herding turkeys and ducks that refuse to just go to their coops on their own. One more species to herd doesn't bother me!

Back
Top Bottom