Quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bonsai, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Bonsai

Bonsai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Ok, I have 3 chickens. A Rhode Island Red, Silkie, and a Barred Plymouth Rock. They have completely outgrown their brooder. They are 8 1/2 weeks old; and I recently finished my coop and moved them out today. I am afriad that they be cold and cause health problems. I live in Sacramento , California, so tempteratures usually are mid-70's during the day and dip into the upper to mid-40's at night. I was wondering if they are ok out there. Do they still need they're heating lamp? Or will the huddle together and sleep? The coop doesn't have horrible drafts. Thanks for help in advance. [​IMG]
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    As long as they have something to cuddle in (shavings, etc) and aren't subject to any drafts they should be fine.
  3. Bonsai

Bonsai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    There is a small gap near the door, and above the nest box. Nothing big though. Would that be fine?
  4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    As long as it isn't too windy out, it should be ok. I can't see a few gaps causing any serious drafts.
    If you are really worried, you could put a heat lamp out there on a timer so it only goes on at night until they get a little bigger, or it warms up.
  5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    8 1/2 weeks old? My chicks go out at 5 weeks, in the weather you have.

Ofcoarse, do as the others said, be sure there are no drafts. But as long

as they have most of their feathers, they will be fine. And plus ~ They have

each other to snuggle with - Even more heat! However if you are really

worried, you can put a light in there. :)

~ScissorChick ^.^
  6. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Quote:I agree with KellyHM on this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by