Quick Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nanblues, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Nanblues

Nanblues Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Just getting my coop together I know I missed the spring run of chicks. A friend of mine offered me some 3 year old Rhode Island Reds..... Given they are three years old, how long do you think I can still expect eggs??.... Thanks for your help with this!

Pete

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Pete welcome to BYC!! Also congrats on getting your coop ready. My oldest birds are just over 3 and still lay, although NOT like clock work. Some are and some are giving me 2 or 3 a week. I am not sure how old they are when they stop completley. I would say though if you are as anxious as I was, go ahead and get the older birds. Next year add to your flock with babies and phase out some or all of the older ones. Good luck!

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

They will probably still be laying, but not as consistantly as they would've before. I'd say take them as starter birds and search around for younger birds. Then, as those birds stop laying, you'll have some younger hens to bounce back on. Congrats on your coop!

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Some farm stores do a fall chick sale, if you are ok with babies, could give that a try so you don't have to integrate later, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by