Quick questions...One chick growing "slower" than the rest.

Gridguru

Chirping
Jan 30, 2016
Dallas, TX area.
So we have 8 chicks. They are all almost 4 weeks old and growing fast as chicks do. But we have one chick, a Cuckoo Maran, that is just small. She seems to be growing as well, but not as fast as the others. She just kind of hangs back when the others run to the food in the morning, then eats when they are done. She isn't as active as the others, but we still find her sitting calmly on a roost or on top of the feeder, etc...every now and then.

I am hoping she's just a runt and isn't having any problems. Her fluff/feathers look just like the others, only smaller. We've checked her for any visual issues and don't see anything.

Thoughts?

This is just a guess, but maybe she is a bantam? I'm not really sure, but as long as she's growing and sort of active it should be okay. Just keep an eye on her. Are the other chicks the same breed and gender?

Did you get straight run chicks or all pullets? I suppose If you got straight run chicks the others might be cockerels and she might be a pullet. Cockerels do have different personalities. This probably isn't right but I think it is something to look at. I have had a couple cockerels, and I think the best way to tell them apart is by their combs. Most pullets don't get bright redish combs until about the time they start to lay eggs. Cockerels get them much earlier. My cockerel Tilly is 5.5 weeks old and has a bright red comb. So in the next few weeks, look for signs of cockerels. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
Did you get straight run chicks or all pullets? I suppose If you got straight run chicks the others might be cockerels and she might be a pullet. Cockerels do have different personalities. This probably isn't right but I think it is something to look at. I have had a couple cockerels, and I think the best way to tell them apart is by their combs. Most pullets don't get bright redish combs until about the time they start to lay eggs. Cockerels get them much earlier. My cockerel Tilly is 5.5 weeks old and has a bright red comb. So in the next few weeks, look for signs of cockerels. Hopefully this helps.
They should be all pullets (at least we hope so). But i'll be watching for sure. They are almost 4 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom