quick questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchicks, Mar 1, 2009.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    How long does a hen stay broody? There's NO rooster and she doesn't even have any eggs in her nest.
    I take her off her nest 2 times a day for food and water, but she doesn't always drink. How long can she go on with this light diet?
    I want to do the best I can for her. By the way I only have the two hens.
    THANK YOU EVERYONE:/

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've seen broody hens go for a month. Keep her away from the nest. Next time she gets broody, isolate her and put under some fertile eggs.

3. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Thanks for the suggestions....I don't want more chickens, that's why I haven't put any fertile eggs under her to hatch. One day I did keep her out of the barn for a while, but she was so dispondent and agitated that I hated the thought that I was disrupting the natural flow of what she's supposed to be doing. Anymore ideas are greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Don't worry too much about her. Most people, who don't want a hen to go broody because of the loss of egg production, will do something to put a stop to the behavior. One of the most common techniques is to put the broody hen in a wire cage, up off the ground. She will begin to lose interest in "nesting" since there isn't anything that she can "nest" in.

I've broken broodies just by carrying them off the nest in the dark and placing them on the roost. A few nights of doing that has been enuf.

I've heard often about much more drastic techniques. I'm not sure if they could really be thought of as cruel because it probably isn't really painful to soak her with water. By your concern about her health - I doubt if you are willing to do this.

Keep in mind that if she was actually brooding a clutch of eggs, she would be on the nest for days at a time without food or water. That is normal behavior. You are concerned because she's behaving this way without any eggs. Hardly matters to her. She's just responding to the stimulation of hormones and isn't thinking clearly [​IMG].

Steve

5. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    digitS...Thank you, that's the best help yet. With the weather still cold I wouldn't want to get her wet, but I sure can go down and put her on the perch with her sister just after dark. And I feel better about her lack of appetite, and water consumption. I won't worry so much. Again THANK YOU THANK YOU:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by