Quick, temporary chicken coop ideas?

psmith1982

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2016
Good evening all!

I am wondering if any of you have an easy, temporary chicken coop idea you'd like to share. I am going to be moving a couple of pullets near my exsisting flock (of 3...lol) so they can get used to one another before I attempt to integrate them. Everyone says to place the pullets in a large cage and place it in the existing coop, but there isnt going to be enough room for a large dog cage. My coop is one of those that you buy from the store- not walk in size. I included a pic. Don't mind the tarp. There has been a LOT of rain...i was trying to keep the dirt inside dry. Any ideas?

Good evening all!

I am wondering if any of you have an easy, temporary chicken coop idea you'd like to share. I am going to be moving a couple of pullets near my exsisting flock (of 3...lol) so they can get used to one another before I attempt to integrate them. Everyone says to place the pullets in a large cage and place it in the existing coop, but there isnt going to be enough room for a large dog cage. My coop is one of those that you buy from the store- not walk in size. I included a pic. Don't mind the tarp. There has been a LOT of rain...i was trying to keep the dirt inside dry. Any ideas?
How many pullets? and Temporary? Chances are you need a bigger coop. That little thing in the background doesn't look big enough for your 3 hens let alone more.

Scott

You could try using the dog crate idea, but putting it next to the feeding stations. I do however agree that the coop that you currently have is not likely to comfortably house 5 chickens. The rule of thumb is 4sqft per bird in the coop and roost space of 1 ft as a minimum, so unless it's a minimum of 20 sqft in the coop there could be problems relating to bullying. From what I can see, the ground level is supposed to be a run - suggested minimum space is 10 sqft per bird.

I'm not sure, but it seems that you have your feeding station inside the coop. It would be much better to put it outside, considering the space available or at least have a second feed station outside.

In your position, I'd either look into getting a much larger coop and larger run before adding any more birds. A stressed, miserable flock will not give you any pleasure, as a keeper not to mention being unfair on the birds.

That little coop is not going to hold 5 adult birds peacefully. Integrating new birds into an established flock peacefully requires a lot space. More than the average minimums of 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. You need to build a coop that will be large enough for all. In the mean time, you can keep your young birds in a large dog crate and setup a temporary run for them using t-posts and wire fencing.

The coop is much bigger than it looks. The birds only roost and lay in it. The rest of the day they are out roaming the yard (the yard is huge and full of grass, plants, and bugs. The yard isn't pictured). If they stayed in it all day then that would be a much different story. :) Also, that coop will eventually be redesigned. My husband is handy like that. It is very nice to see so many concerned about them. I feel the same way.

Last edited:
The coop is much bigger than it looks. The birds only roost and lay in it. The rest of the day they are out roaming the yard (the yard is huge and full of grass, plants, and bugs. The yard isn't pictured). If they stayed in it all day then that would be a much different story.
smile.png
Also, that coop will eventually be redesigned. My husband is handy like that. It is very nice to see so many concerned about them. I feel the same way.

But you have to understand, that whole thing doesn't count as coop space. The only part that is a coop is the enclosed shelter portion. The open, wire portions do not count as coop space. And it is much too small for more than 3, even if they are only in it at night and to lay.

I'm going to toss out another idea...

if your birds free range with all that space, I would not separate the new birds. I'd simply put everyone out ranging together and let them work things out amongst themselves. There looks to be plenty of room for the newbies to run away and hide, and that't the key to everyone getting along at first. If you're introducing birds of a similar age or size, and not just one newbie, this has worked well for me in the past.

This issue with my plan would be, the new birds possibly taking off. So I guess you may want to confine them for a few days, but maybe they could go in the existing coop and the established hens could range and just find a temporary place to sleep for a few nights?

Thank you for your fresh perspective! My yard is almost 11,000 sq. ft. There is A LOT of room. Even in the run itself there is a lot of room. I am just concerned about introducing them and having them roost together with the older girls. I have never integrated new birds. The coop will definitely be extended a bit, but i thought if I had the new girls in their own part of the run for a little while so everyone could interact but not touch eachother, it might ease the transition. I just want the new girls to have a comfy, safe place.

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be building a new coop.
wink.png
Nods exuberantly....that would be a good idea.

You have lots of space for integration.
donrae's idea is good for integration(if you're not concerned with bio security) but for weather shelter when/if needed.

Livestock panels, Tposts, and a tarp.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom