Quick...which one should I trust?

JDchicks

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Southeast Alabama
Which one should I trust? Is there a way to visual judge?

I have 2 thermometers/hygrometers (1 analog and 1 digital).

Days 1-17...They held a temp with a .5 difference, and the humidity was calibrated and they remain matching to each other accordingly.

But I removed the egg trays to get ready for lock down. Put both thermometers/hygrometers back in (the same spots they were in originally), and they are totally off with both after several hours.

The thermometer is off by 6 degrees. (Analog thermometer is reading lower now and I haven't adjust the temp. Digital reading the same)

The hygrometer is off by 12 degrees between the two according to original calibration calculations. (digital is at 65 and analog is at 77 now)

I don't know which one to trust. Why would there be such a jump all the sudden?

I don't have time to calibrate, I need to put them in lock down.

How high does the analog go?

You can 'un-stick' it.

There are directions online.

I'd guess that it is possible to have a different temp in the incubator because of less thermal mass inside.

SO I'm not sure.

Analog hygrometer can go up to 100. It is adjustable. So when I originally calibrated them, I made them match. Now they are way off from each other.

The digital is still reading 99.5 degrees. But the glass thermometer is saying 94 (a 5.5 drop). I have not adjust the temp in the incubator at all. And the house is still maintaining 74.

This is my second try, and I really want these to hatch.

(100*F ? ) can you make some ice water and put both thermometers in for 3 min and remove them, they should both drop to approx 32*F and then head back up to room temperature- if the digital doesn't move, it's the problem, if they both move but the analog wont go over 94*f it is stuck and it is the problem.

However the low temperature (94*F) is within egg tolerance, but might make them late- 102*F is the high tolerance - so I'd just leave it if you are already locked down with proper humidity.

Also there is a way to look at humidity and calculate temperature ... I think...

http://einstein.atmos.colostate.edu/~mcnoldy/Humidity.html - oh wait you need two of three.

here's the other formulas - http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/humidity_formulas.htm

Last edited:
(100*F ? ) can you make some ice water and put both thermometers in for 3 min and remove them, they should both drop to approx 32*F and then head back up to room temperature- if the digital doesn't move, it's the problem, if they both move but the analog wont go over 94*f it is stuck and it is the problem.

However the low temperature (94*F) is within egg tolerance, but might make them late- 102*F is the high tolerance - so I'd just leave it if you are already locked down with proper humidity.

Also there is a way to look at humidity and calculate temperature ... I think...

http://einstein.atmos.colostate.edu/~mcnoldy/Humidity.html - oh wait you need two of three.

here's the other formulas - http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/humidity_formulas.htm
That first link doesn't work and OMGOSH that last link is way over my head. I was reading this because I have the same problem. I can never get two of anything to read the same. I have bought them until I will not waste my money anymore. I just put three in there and figure the temp in somewere in the middle and keep them all in the range of normal Mine read right now between 97.5 and 100.3 and 100.6. The last two are on the same therm. It is an indoor outdoor one and the sensers are side by side. Then the regular out door therm. reads close to 100. It is small and hard to read. The more of them I get the more confused it gets.
barnie.gif

I was the same way. I have 2 analogs and 2 digitals. I kept the one of each that were closest to the tests and calibrations. Grrrr... and now they are way off.

I am in the process of trying to test/calibrate the other digital...hopefully I will be able to use it instead.

Last edited:
I calibrated the other digital and it is reading the same as the analog. So I replaced the original digital with the new one. The thermometers are closer in degrees now. Only about 2 degree difference...analog 97 and digital 99.5.

So I think I will be okay going into lock down. I am behind a few hours but think its better to have the levels better first.

Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom