Quickest drying bedding for run?

Hi all, we have a run that is attached to our elevated coop. The run area under the coop stays dry but the exposed part does not (it has a roof but the sides are hardware cloth held together with wooden beams). I've been using pine shavings for bedding but am curious if there is a better material that dries quicker? We had a lot of rain last night so parts of the run are pretty soaked. Also, when you have a wet run floor, do you rake and remix it? We are trying out the deep litter method but am curious for when the bedding is soaking wet if you do anything different. Thank you

Hi all, we have a run that is attached to our elevated coop. The run area under the coop stays dry but the exposed part does not (it has a roof but the sides are hardware cloth held together with wooden beams). I've been using pine shavings for bedding but am curious if there is a better material that dries quicker? We had a lot of rain last night so parts of the run are pretty soaked. Also, when you have a wet run floor, do you rake and remix it? We are trying out the deep litter method but am curious for when the bedding is soaking wet if you do anything different. Thank you
I also have a covered run with HC walls and it pissed down rain last night. My run is dry.
I build the run on high ground and put a gutter on the back of the roof to divert rain away from the run.
My run is so dry I dump the dirty water around in the run to try to keep the dust down.
I use a thick layer of (FREE) wood chips that I get from a local Highway Department.
wood chips.jpg

I also have a covered run with HC walls and it pissed down rain last night. My run is dry.
I build the run on high ground and put a gutter on the back of the roof to divert rain away from the run.
My run is so dry I dump the dirty water around in the run to try to keep the dust down.
I use a thick layer of (FREE) wood chips that I get from a local Highway Department.
View attachment 2188427
What a beautiful run! Could you attach more pictures? So funny, we just started becoming friendly with the head of highway dept. in our town. Perhaps I will reach out about wood chips.

Our run is soaked :( I think no matter what angle the rain hits, it gets soaked. Do you think its OK for them to walk in bedding that wet? They can also stay in the dry coop or dry run section under the coop.

Also, how many chickens do you have? Your setup looks optimal for lots of running and playing for chickens!

My chicken girls were out in their run during tropical storm Cristobal in between the heavy rain and wind. Wood chips stay high and not so much dry as not muddy and well drained. So when it is heavy wet the bugs and worms like to get on top of the wood chips.
At first I was like, dumb birds don't know when to get out of the rain.
No, greedy little raptors are getting while the getting is good.

Do you think its OK for them to walk in bedding that wet? They can also stay in the dry coop or dry run section under the coop.

If you give them free access to shelter or open space they'll choose how wet or dry they want to be at any time.

You can also put blocks, logs, pallets, or intact straw bales in the run for them to sit on. Clutter in the run is good for entertainment and flock social dynamics.

Pine shavings tend to get waterlogged IMO. A base of wood chips is better because they let water drain through.

Chicks below on deep litter after a heavy rainstorm - there were puddles in the grass outside, but no puddles and a relatively dry surface to walk on inside.

litter.jpg

Our run is soaked :( I think no matter what angle the rain hits, it gets soaked. Do you think its OK for them to walk in bedding that wet? They can also stay in the dry coop or dry run section under the coop.
Wet is fine....puddles that don't drain away fairly quickly, not so much.

Wood chippings work great here, most of my run is uncovered.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
full

Back
Top Bottom