Quiet breeds? How to gradually change to new chickens?

thoth1990

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2022
Florida
First time chicken owner. My hens are almost a year old. I have some partridge rocks and buff orpingtons that do the egg song or alarm multiple times in the morning or afternoon, every day. As much as I love my chickens I would really like to know if there are breeds that do this less. I have one red star and have never heard a peep out of her, she lays one egg every day. She is in the middle of the pecking order, so maybe that has something to do with it? If I get quieter chickens and keep some of mine now, I would end up with a new pecking order. Would my quiet red star suddenly change her behavior and start singing? Or do chickens get over the singing as they mature?

First time chicken owner. My hens are almost a year old. I have some partridge rocks and buff orpingtons that do the egg song or alarm multiple times in the morning or afternoon, every day. As much as I love my chickens I would really like to know if there are breeds that do this less. I have one red star and have never heard a peep out of her, she lays one egg every day. She is in the middle of the pecking order, so maybe that has something to do with it? If I get quieter chickens and keep some of mine now, I would end up with a new pecking order. Would my quiet red star suddenly change her behavior and start singing? Or do chickens get over the singing as they mature?
What did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation. We have 2 egg songs every morning that are really loud and I don't want to piss of the neighbors nearby. The other 6 hens are quiet after laying. I'm wanting to replace the 2 loud hens, but am not sure if it will work out....Did you have any success finding a few quieter hens?

Back
Top Bottom