1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quiet breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bettacreek, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I'm wondering, are there any really quiet breeds of chickens that don't get too big that could be in the house in a cage? Any with quiet roos would be great, but I could live without a roo.

ETA: if they're too smelly for this, then let me know, I'm just not very educated on chickens. [​IMG] I'd just want one or two gals.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Silkies! But most hens are quiet and all roosters will crow. They do have a smell so you have to keep the cage clean. They do sale chicken diapers if you want to let them run around. Sorry but you can't litter train a bird.

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Brahma, Cochin Bantams

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've known people who had litter trained chickens, and it is not at all uncommon to train parrots. As for the chickens, I've never been able to train mine, but diapers work amazingly!

The better quality the diet, the better it is digested and the less smell and mess (same as using premium cat & dog foods).

Inside birds I know of include silkies, seramas, a buttercup, araucanas,d'uccles and even plymouth rocks. Depending on the space, other animals and how your house is arranged you'll probably want to cage them some or much of the time. If they only get caged for short periods, the cage can be relatively small. But if they spend much time in it at all, the bigger the better.

5. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I am getting a pair of seramas they are the smallest chickens in the world I am very excited I will keep you up dated

6. Innerharmoni

Innerharmoni New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    Hi!
    I just found your post, and the wonderful replies you recieved..

I was wondering which breed of chickens you decided to go with, and how it is working out?

I have 3 bantams, about 3 weeks old, unsexed... so my odds are 50/50 getting my 3 little girls... I have just started think in terms to indoor housing....

Thank you for your time!

Tonya "Innerharmoni"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by