Quiet pullets

Kathy Chenier

Chirping
Nov 10, 2020
My pullets just started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. None of them make that "ba-cauuk" sound they are suppose to make after they lay. Whats up with that? I even tried to make the sound for them to teach them but they just looked at me as if to say what's wrong with you. Maybe I got faulty chickens. lol

With my girls, it seems to be breed related. My Easter Eggers, for example, are perfectly willing to lay without comment. But some of my others -- including my Buckeyes -- certainly want the world to know about their accomplishments. I can hear them brag from the house with the windows closed!

Any chance you have a recording of you trying to teach your girls to sing? I think that would be a best seller on this site :lau

Haha, I have some noisy girls and some quiet ones. I also have ones that only sing every other day and some that only sing if they lay a big egg and some that only sing if they lay in their fave eggbox. It can also take them a little while to learn.
Maybe I got faulty chickens
No, they are not faulty.
Chickens don't see singing as a talent or requirement, they do it if they want to, and you can't make them.

They are sweet girls and will probably learn to sing in their own time.

My young hens also think I'm their rooster because they come up to me and crouch down to be mounted. I do the best I can by giving them a little scratch on their back. That seems to be good enough because they stand up, shake their feathers back in place and walk away making their happy noise. You all probably think I'm a little crazy. You are right.

Back
Top Bottom