Quiet Roosters?!?

twolittlechooks

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I'm waiting to hear back about some blue Jersey chicks that I want to buy, but I'm a little nervous though because they are straight run and where I live we are only allowed to have four hens and no roosters... I think that I posted a zillion pictures here of my Easter Egger chicks when they were babies asking if you all thought they were hens or roosters. I would love to have a rooster again. When I lived up north we had no restrictions (out in the sticks, lol) and I miss the chuckling sound of a rooster as he calls his girls over because he has found a tasty morsel. Is there such a thing as a breed where roosters are known to be quiet(er) or is it just a luck of the draw? Thanks!

The bigger breeds are more quitter but there’s no guarantee their all probably gonna crow some more thren others

The bigger breeds are more quitter but there’s no guarantee their all probably gonna crow some more thren others
I already have four pet pigs and two hens and our houses are very close together. I have really great neighbors who save their veggie scraps for my little "farm" and I don't want to make them unhappy with constant crowing. I wish I could find someone with blu Jersey Giant pullets for sale.

I already have four pet pigs and two hens and our houses are very close together. I have really great neighbors who save their veggie scraps for my little "farm" and I don't want to make them unhappy with constant crowing. I wish I could find someone with blu Jersey Giant pullets for sale.
mayne they wouldn’t mind,ask them before totally blowing
The idea

I don’t know of any, and just stopped by to offer some advice- borne from experience. Save yourself the time, money and heart ache of all the “de-crowing” ideas examples: keeping him in a low roof coop during the hours you don’t want any crowing (with the idea being that he can’t stretch his neck to crow- he can, and it’s just cruel anyway), the rolled up sock/or devices specifically made to go around his neck so that he can’t fill his crow sack full of air- doesn’t work and you have to be careful that it isn’t so tight that he can’t breathe- cruel again, IMO. We bought, made, and modified it all-with the exception of an expensive (and imo cruel yet again) de-crowing surgery- and still ended up having to get rid of our roo for crowing (in a subdivision and they crow all hours of the day and night- is there even such thing as “quiet crowing” at 3am? Not in my experience!). Just my two cents, in case you get pulled down that path.. save yourself, and the roo, the mess of it all. :)

Thank you. That's my concern. Getting chicks, having one (or both) turn out to be a rooster and then trying to find a safe home for him. I'm going to look for a blue that I know is a pullet.

I had a friend that had one of those blue rooster giants, and boy was it tall. She had to give it away because it was too big for her "regular sized" hens.

Back
Top Bottom