Quiet Saxony ducks...

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Part of the reason I chose Saxony ducks is because they're known to be quiet compared to others.

Well, someone nominated my oldest female Saxony as spokesduck, and she's the loudest one! Previous spokesduck competes with her and they're making a racket when I go visit them.

She has quite the Quack-Quack-Quack on her, not quiet at all!

Perhaps the Pekin/Mallard cross girls are a bad influence?

In other duck news, I tossed the baby Saxony outside into the duck pen with the 3 oldest girls, who quickly decided they were cool. The Saxony duck has pretty well taken them in and will sit with them now instead of the Mallard cross girls. I had brought in my two call boys and their chicken for Angel Wing treatment (chicken only went as their companion) and they stayed inside for 2 1/2 weeks. They're wings are much improved though not perfect, but I put them back outside too. The baby Saxony (4 weeks old) have been MEAN to them. The two Mallard cross girls have turned into hussies and hang out with them. It's so neat how the social structure evolves, and really strange that the oldest Saxony took up with her own kind. She was vicious to the call boys when they first came, but took right to these babies who are 8 weeks younger than her.

Time for me to choose the babies I'm keeping and send the rest to the farm tomorrow. I'm going to try to pick quiet ones! But so far, the ones who are quacking females show every indication of being obnoxious too.
lol.png

Aww, I'd love to have some Saxony's. Just can't find any nearby. Maybe if I come to buy some sheep in OH, I could swing by your place and beg for some ducklings
smile.png

I couldn't find any locally either after looking for a couple of months. So I bit the bullet and ordered "top shelf" babies from Holderreads after trying hatching eggs. Hoping my oldest female starts laying in the fall and that a male will be old enough to help her out so I can get started on a larger flock for Spring that will be laying by then. Giving serious thought to selling most of my chickens to expand the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom