Quieter meat birds?

My Bresse rooster pushed me over the edge this morning, I made his 1 1/2 inch velcro collar tighter and added another small piece to the cover the front, so its thicker in the front. I can barely hear his crow, I may be on to something with the extra piece, I hope he doesn't die. I will make it an 1/8 looser, tonight. I can't catch him until he sleeps.
It sad, but you have to do what's best. I'm down to 1 rooster Ixworth x Bresse cross and may get rid it soon. I am very dissapointed of the cross because growth rate like normal dual purpose breed and small body frame. I got free 18 CornishX 5 weeks old last week. They are currently on diet as previous owner overfeeding them. Hopefully, I can make the cross (CornishX x Bresse, CornishX x IxworthBresse) in the future.

Last edited:
It sad, but you have to do what's best. I'm down to 1 rooster Ixworth x Bresse cross and may get rid it soon. I am very dissapointed of the cross because growth rate like normal dual purpose breed and small body frame. I got free 18 CornishX 5 weeks old last week. They are currently on diet as previous owner overfeeding them. Hopefully, I can make the cross (CornishX x Bresse, CornishX x IxworthBresse) in the future.
I found an interesting article on Broiler Breeder and their management. I think we can substitute Breese chickens instead of New Hamsters since they mature faster and also lay well, but I think we still need the standard White Cornish and white Plymouth Rock to get a decent broiler.
Quote from article, "More complicated schemes yielding a better result would be ‘Cornish’ males and ‘New Hampshire’ females, crossed with the ‘White Plymouth Rock’ strain. Crossbred males and crossbred females from these respective crosses are then used as broiler parent stock to breed the broiler chicks." https://fareasternagriculture.com/live-stock/poultry/broiler-breeders-and-their-management

I have some show quality standard White Cornish hatching eggs in my incubator, I will be candling them in about 5 more days. My hatch rate on mail order eggs are terrible, so I can't count my chickens before they hatch. I bought them from an auction on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/3339728779...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this Italian recipe. I used a Barbeziuex chicken and added a green Thai pepper.

My three Bresse are still alive with their collars set so I can barely hear them. However, I'm putting two of them in a holding bin with out feed and I will process them on Sunday. I'll keep the tallest one for my breeding program.

Back
Top Bottom